The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

EEE at Newcastle University?

Hello, I am an international student holding a offer to study at the Newcastle Uni for Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Am curious to hear from current or older students about the general teaching standard of this course. As in what is the EE department sample size usually? How reputable is Newcastle for this degree in terms of job prospects? I would prefer the course contain a fair amount of coding, is that the case?

I am also interested in knowing the overall vibe of the university. I am a POC and will not be able to visit the campus anytime soon. How are the people generally? Would being of a different background be a barrier? Is the party culture too disruptive?

Lastly, my other offer for the same course is from University of Exeter, so if anyone has any insight on the comparisons between the two, please let me know.

Would appreciate any and all comments.
Original post by 99daysofsolitude
Hello, I am an international student holding a offer to study at the Newcastle Uni for Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Am curious to hear from current or older students about the general teaching standard of this course. As in what is the EE department sample size usually? How reputable is Newcastle for this degree in terms of job prospects? I would prefer the course contain a fair amount of coding, is that the case?

I am also interested in knowing the overall vibe of the university. I am a POC and will not be able to visit the campus anytime soon. How are the people generally? Would being of a different background be a barrier? Is the party culture too disruptive?

Lastly, my other offer for the same course is from University of Exeter, so if anyone has any insight on the comparisons between the two, please let me know.

Would appreciate any and all comments.

Hi @99daysofsolitude,

Congratulations on your offer to study at Newcastle University! I'm a current student here, in my third year of studying Linguistics. So, whilst I can't help with your questions regarding the course I can answer your questions about the uni in general! I will also point you in the direction of our Unibuddy platform, where you can talk to a current student on the Electric and Electronic Engineering course for your subject-specific questions.

Newcastle is such a welcoming place both in the uni and the city, that being a POC will absolutely not be a barrier to you. Additionally, although Newcastle is known for its party culture, the city has so much else to offer too. I personally don't go out to clubs often at all, and I never feel pressured to do so or think that Newcastle is boring because of it. There are so many restaurants, bars, cafes to check out, alongside other activities like museums, dog and cat cafes, and indoor mini golf where you don't need to drink to enjoy them. Also, many societies offer 'sober socials' so you'll be able to get involved in those too!

I hope that helps!
~Ashley
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Newcastle University Ambassador
Hi @99daysofsolitude,

Congratulations on your offer to study at Newcastle University! I'm a current student here, in my third year of studying Linguistics. So, whilst I can't help with your questions regarding the course I can answer your questions about the uni in general! I will also point you in the direction of our Unibuddy platform, where you can talk to a current student on the Electric and Electronic Engineering course for your subject-specific questions.

Newcastle is such a welcoming place both in the uni and the city, that being a POC will absolutely not be a barrier to you. Additionally, although Newcastle is known for its party culture, the city has so much else to offer too. I personally don't go out to clubs often at all, and I never feel pressured to do so or think that Newcastle is boring because of it. There are so many restaurants, bars, cafes to check out, alongside other activities like museums, dog and cat cafes, and indoor mini golf where you don't need to drink to enjoy them. Also, many societies offer 'sober socials' so you'll be able to get involved in those too!

I hope that helps!
~Ashley

Good to know Ashley! I was wondering whether most students living locally would not living in accommodations, or will be going home on the weekend? My friend who is also an international student at Northumbria Uni notes that it gets pretty deserted in her campus during the weekends. Since I'll be living quite the miles away from home, I am looking for a more campus feel. Do you think that is the case at Newcastle?

Additionally, are you aware of the general job prospects in the city? I would prefer to do internships in my time at University so am hoping it is well connected with the local companies.

Will be checking out UniBuddy, thanks!
Original post by 99daysofsolitude
Good to know Ashley! I was wondering whether most students living locally would not living in accommodations, or will be going home on the weekend? My friend who is also an international student at Northumbria Uni notes that it gets pretty deserted in her campus during the weekends. Since I'll be living quite the miles away from home, I am looking for a more campus feel. Do you think that is the case at Newcastle?

Additionally, are you aware of the general job prospects in the city? I would prefer to do internships in my time at University so am hoping it is well connected with the local companies.

Will be checking out UniBuddy, thanks!

No problem, @99daysofsolitude! :smile:

In my experience, the majority of students at Newcastle University who are in their first year are in university managed accommodation (if you haven't already seen, you can learn more about those available to you here). Within my friend group, people have only really gone home during the holiday periods and rarely leave just for a weekend home. This is due to a lot of my friends living quite far from home within the UK, or they just want to university experience and so stay in Newcastle! Naturally, however, this will depend on your group of friends. If you do find that a lot of people you know do go home for the weekend, that isn't to say that you'll be left with nothing to do. Newcastle University has a range of societies, a Give It a Go scheme (where you can try a new activity for a discounted price), and a ResLife team (accommodation service), which are all there to provide things to do on the weekend. And of course, if it takes your fancy, there are plenty of ways to enjoy and explore the city by yourself!

The layout of Newcastle University is actually something that really appealed to me when I was deciding which university to attend. Whilst the university campus is located in the city centre, there are still two main campus areas where all the building you'll need for your studies are in one place. To me, this makes Newcastle feel like a campus university where you can easily meet your friends on campus during the day, whilst not being isolated from the rest of the city.

Finally, in terms of job prospects, Newcastle University has a lot to offer you. Within the university itself, there are plenty of opportunities, including internships, joining the student leadership team for your school, or getting involved with JobsOC. Many of these roles are flexible and designed to fit around your studies. Additionally, with Newcastle University being located in the city, there are the regular type of retail/restaurant jobs that you would find in any city.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
~Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending