Why are fat people considered unattractive? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Wild Thing
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
mmm...well but when you're like 17 - 23 yrs old it's not like you think already of having children...i know you[ don't think but still unconsciously you do imagine yourself having a baby with someone you've just looked at...
ok forget it...im making no sense
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There are survival mechanisms in the human race quite older than you and me and we don't control or think constantly about them.

:hello:
cheesecakebobby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Golden Maverick)
No, this happens at a subconcious level - what is seen as generally attractive?
- 'Hourglass figure' with hips larger than the waist - this from a reproductive pov is good to allow a foetus through the pelvis.
- Breast size (I know this varies between guys but generally small is not as good) - good for breastfeeding
- Clear skin and smell - lack of disease
- Neither very fat or very thin - fat is not so good for fertility, thin not good for childbearing.
Most of the general things seen as attractive can be explained from a reproductive point of view, of course this does not mean that is the reason for it, but it is possible.
In terms of evolution, preference for a body shape that is good for childbearing is going to be a favourable trait.
Spot on, I'd say. The reason that women with an hourglass figure are often thought of as attractive is because small/ medium sized waists (ie lack of body fat) gives the impression that the breasts and hips are not mostly fat- otherwise 300lb women with bras you could use as hammocks might be considered the social norm of attractiveness.
leopard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
~i think it also depends on which era/race/culture you're in--the fads, what ppl of that particular period considered to be attractive. Just look at all those renaissance paintings and things, with images of women that we'd call ugly and fat today...NOwadays, it's the media, and the celebrity status of models/supermodels that dictates 'thin-ness' as the body shape to be! :mad:
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by leopard)
~i think it also depends on which era/race/culture you're in--the fads, what ppl of that particular period considered to be attractive. Just look at all those renaissance paintings and things, with images of women that we'd call ugly and fat today...NOwadays, it's the media, and the celebrity status of models/supermodels that dictates 'thin-ness' as the body shape to be! :mad:

Yes, true. Shame time travel isn't possible then
leopard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
~oh, and also lifestyle---ppl back then didn't know the importance of exercise/healthy eating etc...'good'/'bad' foods ---and so i guess they just, kept on eating! but seriously, women's bodies today tend to be more toned/athletic looking...thinking of amelie mauresmo right now! :rolleyes: :eek:
Golden Maverick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
~oh, and also lifestyle---ppl back then didn't know the importance of exercise/healthy eating etc...'good'/'bad' foods ---and so i guess they just, kept on eating! but seriously, women's bodies today tend to be more toned/athletic looking...thinking of amelie mauresmo right now! :rolleyes: :eek:
Before 100 years ago or so, fatter was seen as more attractive as was pale skin, as this was a sign of wealth - poor people did not eat enough to become fat and had to work outside so became tanned. Now being tanned is seen as good as it means you are wealthy enough to go on holiday and are more likely to be healthy. Being thinner now probably suggests health and so is desirable, as it is now easy to become fat, harder to excercise and be healthy.
It's quite interesting how the accepted version of beauty changes over time. And how much of it is nature and how much nurture.
Taldarion
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think there are a number factors to this. I think it all stems from the subconcious,need for the race to survive. As others have said, slimmer "mates" mean slimmer, genreally fitter, offspring. This has just been taken up by the media and then emphsized.

on the other hand why would fatter people then have seemed more attractive 100 years ago? I understand what the reasoning was, but surely if this subconcious attractiveness still applies today, what stoped it then? Did people jsut pretend to fancy larger people becasue it was cool? :idea:
RieLouise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Taldarion)
I think there are a number factors to this. I think it all stems from the subconcious,need for the race to survive. As others have said, slimmer "mates" mean slimmer, genreally fitter, offspring. This has just been taken up by the media and then emphsized.

on the other hand why would fatter people then have seemed more attractive 100 years ago? I understand what the reasoning was, but surely if this subconcious attractiveness still applies today, what stoped it then? Did people jsut pretend to fancy larger people becasue it was cool? :idea:
As I said in a previous post the female figure promoted by the mainstream media as 'ideal' (i.e: the 'boyish' supermodel type figure) is hardly 'ripe for fertility'. Where are their childbearing hips? (Kind of essential for y'know...childbearing.) Encouraging people to starve themselves to nothingness is hardly 'facilitating the survival of the species'.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Taldarion)
What is seen as attractive through the media now is an unhealthly thin image. The fatter people that were attractive in the past are closer to the natural healthy body shape.
Only 100 years ago the media wasn't such an influence on behaviours. Not everyone looks for the media's image of beauty...I know most of my friends don't want a stick thin person. Just at a younger age people are more susceptible to "brainwashing" and by the time they are mature enough to make opinions independant of the media habits have been made.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I suppose there are more negative stereotypes generally associated with overweight people than with underweight people, e.g. fat people are lazy, greedy, stupid etc - even though this is not always true at all. Often in TV shows/films/cartoons (and other media), the "fat character" often behaves in a stereotypical way - they're clumsy, silly and have "issues" with their weight. I think gradually these negative ideas have become fixed in peoples' minds.

This is why I think fat people are considered by many to be unattractive.

Thin people are not necessarily any more healthy or able to reproduce children. In fact, in the past people often felt it was better to be on the large side (chunky, large or, if you're American, "husky") as food was less abundant.

Renaissance portraits of women make them look positively fat...At least in my opinion. The men are broad, large and fairly muscular. The children/cupids are chubby and "cute".

Not everyone thinks fat is unattractive though...There are BBW sites for those with fetishes out there... *raises eyebrows*
leopard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
~yeh i know! i saw this disturbing doco about this american guy who had this fetish and married his wife for that ONE reason, making her eat more and more and he took photos of her naked etc :confused: and lurved that she was getting bigger and bigger...like 200kg+ if that's poss...anyway, it got to the point where she had to lie in bed all day, couldnt even go to the toilet! it was repulsive! It was threatening her health, then she had some operation on her stomach....and was saying how her husband was disappointed cos she wasnt at her peak fat stage anymore! :eek: :confused:
katiesado
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
fat people have the stereotype of possessing many of the qualities that society deems undesirable--
-greedy/gluttonous
-lazy
-nonsexual because their bodies change and aren't in the range of healthy or sexually attractive- and to be a bit gross even their sexual organs become obscured.
-less intelligent because they are willfully destructing their health and standing within society
-they seem to be willfully disregarding society's standards of beauty and society never responds with anything besides mistrust, rejection and isolation to perceived insurrection.
katiesado
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
~yeh i know! i saw this disturbing doco about this american guy who had this fetish and married his wife for that ONE reason, making her eat more and more and he took photos of her naked etc :confused: and lurved that she was getting bigger and bigger...like 200kg+ if that's poss...anyway, it got to the point where she had to lie in bed all day, couldnt even go to the toilet! it was repulsive! It was threatening her health, then she had some operation on her stomach....and was saying how her husband was disappointed cos she wasnt at her peak fat stage anymore! :eek: :confused:
that's more of a control issue. he wasn't so much attracted to her because she was fat, he loved that he could control what she ate, her physical appearance and eventually render her helpless and dependant upon him. i don't think people are attracted to fat, their attracted to the personality that goes along with it. fat people often have lower self esteem and people enjoy preying upon them and like the rush of confidence they feel around them. i knew a guy who only hit on fat girls in bars because he knew they'd go home with him because any male attention was welcome to them and they had no self confidence.
djchak
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd have to agree more with what No Future said. No one wants to be with a lazy person (even though this might not be the case)
sassy but sweet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by katiesado)
fat people have the stereotype of possessing many of the qualities that society deems undesirable--
-greedy/gluttonous
-lazy
-nonsexual because their bodies change and aren't in the range of healthy or sexually attractive- and to be a bit gross even their sexual organs become obscured.
-less intelligent because they are willfully destructing their health and standing within society
-they seem to be willfully disregarding society's standards of beauty and society never responds with anything besides mistrust, rejection and isolation to perceived insurrection.
I have to disagree with you there. Because from my own experiance, I'am not lazy, not greedy, I'am damn sure not stupid(I went to collage, and did so well that the teacher offered me a job helping her teach her classroom) I do not have low self-esteem either because I get plenty of guys in my face. So the stereotypes that they have out for fat people are totally wrong. I got called stupid and everything else because I wouldn't accept gays on one of the forums. But you people are being just as close minded and stupid as you said I was being!! Oh and for the people whosaid "I'd rather die then be fat" Oh well you won't be missed!!
swishmasta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
now beyonce has the perfect figure!!!! am not a fan of those thin stick models but i aint no fan of cellulite either. theres just gota be a balance. anyone seen shallow hal? i dont think any boy here would ever date that girl without some sort of brainwashing, despite the fact she was "nice".
parsimony
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think its just modern obsession by extremenly thin ppl, thats the only reason why SOME ppl consider fat ppl unattractive
.. if you look at thi idol of a women maaany years ago..man rather preffered chubby women bcause it was a sign of their heathl and wealth..if somebody was too skinny than ment that she/he has nothing to eat and is poor..

nowadays ppl are influenced by the stereotype that skinny means beautifull..

i think that also fat ppl can b considered attractive or even sexy if they are confident... and if they believe that they really ARE good looking..

many ppl claim that outward appearance should not be important and that we should be more focused on the personality or character..i think its true but on the other hand i think that its impossible to have a good relationship (girl+boy) if the persons involved dont consider eachother as being attractive..
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sassy but sweet)
I have to disagree with you there. Because from my own experiance, I'am not lazy, not greedy, I'am damn sure not stupid(I went to collage, and did so well that the teacher offered me a job helping her teach her classroom) I do not have low self-esteem either because I get plenty of guys in my face. So the stereotypes that they have out for fat people are totally wrong. I got called stupid and everything else because I wouldn't accept gays on one of the forums. But you people are being just as close minded and stupid as you said I was being!! Oh and for the people whosaid "I'd rather die then be fat" Oh well you won't be missed!!
I'd like to draw your attention to katiesado's first sentence: 'fat people have the stereotype of possessing many of the qualities that society deems undesirable--'

Certain people perceive` fat people to have these qualities and, as we know, people's perceptions are often flawed.

'that society deems undesirable' - and we all know society's pretty screwed up.

And yes, as a former anorectic, I probably have uttered the words, 'I'd rather die than be fat' but that was what pushed me into that illness in the first place was constant teasing from my classmates at school when I gained a lot of weight at 14.
leopard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by katiesado)
that's more of a control issue...
~true..i didnt really look it from that angle before. BUt in this doco there was actually a club/society of ppl with fat fetishes. I mean the man was building a new house for them both with extra wide doors etc...

We're more health conscious these days and there is greater emphasis on exercise, eating well and keeping fit--hence the healthy, toned (thin) figure is seen as more attractive.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads