Why are fat people considered unattractive? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bratcat)
And I'm sure these people collectively feel exactly the same about you.
couldnt have put it any better myself
Golden Maverick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by saiyamana)
What about the sufferers of Ad-36?

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/07/28/fat.virus.ap/

I havent found a more up to date source, but it could be that numerous fat people could have an 'fat virus', therefore not making it their own fault
It could be, but this research is in no way reliable evidence of that. The human study was based on 100 or so people (50 obese, 50 not) from 3 cities in the US. It found 30% prevalence in the obese group compared to 10% in the control. Much larger studies would need to be done for this to be reliable.

Also, consider if this was a general trend - obesity level in the states is currently about 18% with 300million people.
So non-obese people infected = 0.1 * (300 * 0.72) = 22 million people
Obese people infected = 0.3 * (300 * 0.18) = 16 million
This suggests this disease is not that effective at causing obesity, there would be other factors.

Interestingly those with Ad-36 had low triglyceride and cholesterol levels, usually high in obese people.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the person is more important than the skin surrounding them...
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bratcat)
Or prolonged starvation, or laxative abuse or even blood letting. 'I'd rather die than be fat' - the perennial and tedious refrain from anorectics.

The ideal body (imho):
have a big copy of that in our living room
james333
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Fat people are just less attractive physically, why would you wanna sleep with a fat person when you can sleep with somebody much better looking..
also the fact that somebody is fat also says something about their character which is a bit off putting, it often is a result of laziness and a lack of self respect.. which arent attractive qualities..
fat people, you just need to put a little effort in and do some exercise and stop piggin out all the time, you're not really hungry, you're just being greedy!
instead of eatin junk eat somethin healthy..
u'll be amazed at how much better u'll feel after losing a few stone
james333
Report 14 years ago
and maybe some do find beauty in the morbidly obese because it's a body type that is not the norm and takes some effort to obtain.
whoever wrote this is an idiot, it doesnt take effort to get fat, u just need to do nothing and eat unhealthy cheap food and not do exercise to get fat, it does not take effort
trouttrout
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lets be honest... it is unnatractive isnt it.
katiesado
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by james333)
whoever wrote this is an idiot, it doesnt take effort to get fat, u just need to do nothing and eat unhealthy cheap food and not do exercise to get fat, it does not take effort
a bit vehement there. have we hit a sensitive spot? :rolleyes:

to become morbidly obese requires an exorbitant consumption of calories, a complete lack of body awareness or willingness to take responsibility for the health risks it poses (usually due to body image disorders and psychological issues) or an inability to (ie physical). simply being extremely lazy won't make the average person morbidly obese. morbidly obese is not simply "fat" or "overweight", it's someone who will probably die due to a complication of their weight problem. we were talking about people who are sexually fascinated by severely overweight people and people who deliberately make themselves fat for this purpose, hence they put forth an effort.

now will you please keep your anger and insults to yourself because you really have nothing of interest to contribute. cheers.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To me personally, it's not the volume that makes the person unattractive. An overweight person who looks like they just don't pay any attention to what they eat, how much they exercise, is not attractive because they look unhealthy and don't bother to keep themselves fit. Just in the same way, a scrawny body of a girl who doesn't eat anything and gets no exercise is equally unattractive. It's because they don't make the effort that it's unattractive.

If a girl is quite curvy but she eats reasonably and exercises regularly, you can tell and to be honest, a lot of curvy girls out there are very sexy. But a big girl stuffing her face with a big mac isn't as appealing as a big girl who cares about her weight and eats healthy.

But it's hard to have sympathy for people who do little about their weight problem (whether it be underweight or overweight). It's because obesity is unhealthy that it makes it unattractive. Just as anorexia is.

If the excess weight is there, it got there because of food that was consumed and there was no exercise to burn the fat. Of course, people have different metabolisms that make it difficult for certain people to lose weight but to say they have no control is indeed just rubbish to make people less guilty about doing little about the problem. With the will power, you can always lose weight. Personally, I doubt I'd have much will power if I was overweight. But I'd have to admit that it's the lack of will power and not just my metabolism. The metabolism is an obstacle, not a complete barrier to stop people from losing any weight at all. If you weigh 300 lbs and go on a 1500 calorie a day diet, and claim that it can't make you lose weight, you're lying.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
the person is more important than the skin surrounding them...
however much of it there is...
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Depends what people consider fat. I find skinny men unattractive, and much prefer someone who has a little bit of weight on them.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.88%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.19%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.68%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.8%

Watched Threads