The Student Room Group

When did 21st century decades culturally begin and end?

Not the chronological start/end dates but when the culture came to an end and it felt like the culture of the new decade began

I would say:

90s - 00s: 2001

00s - 10s: Summer 2010, maybe 2011 because smartphones and other stuff.

10s - 20s: March 2020 is when it started feeling more like the 20s for obvious reasons, Feb 2021 is when the transition felt complete.
(edited 2 years ago)
Having born in the 70's Ive seen a big transition. I can only go on personally what I've seen, so other people might have different ideas.
70's - 80's merged into one big decade for me lol
90s - started about 1991 with dance music, more issues being addressed and being discussed be it sexism, racism, LGBTQ+. It was a start of shift of attitudes. Technology was improving and getting smaller.
2000's this started in 1999. Y2K compliant, people getting excited for the millennium celebrations, making plans for a new century.
2010- from flip phones to iphones. from there on in what ever changes there was its been a gradual change. Maybe brexit year divided the nation ?and then the start of 'cancel' culture.
What? ...the 21st century just began.... We're only in the 22nd year of the 21 century...

Am I missing something.

As far as when todays culture began, well that's just a weird question. What do you mean... Every year is a transition from the former. It didnt just bluntly get to this point one day. We graduated here from former decades and generations... I will say that the early 2010s were very unique.

2009-2013 started what society is today. Because of instagram and twitter and the commonality of the smartphone. People around the world discovered grime and drill and K-pop and rekindled emo and streetwear rave fashion a la Billie Eilish, and it was Ariana Grande and drake's debut era. I mention everyone and the social media platforms above because they are cultural dominants now. And the smartphone made accessing social media and these artists and fashion easier than ever. Now we can't stop it.
But even still we got smartphones from the 2000s with iPod and cell and BBM phones. Before there were the Motorola pagers and Walkman cds like. I mean... It's a transition.
Original post by Ghostlady
Having born in the 70's Ive seen a big transition. I can only go on personally what I've seen, so other people might have different ideas.
70's - 80's merged into one big decade for me lol
90s - started about 1991 with dance music, more issues being addressed and being discussed be it sexism, racism, LGBTQ+. It was a start of shift of attitudes. Technology was improving and getting smaller.
2000's this started in 1999. Y2K compliant, people getting excited for the millennium celebrations, making plans for a new century.
2010- from flip phones to iphones. from there on in what ever changes there was its been a gradual change. Maybe brexit year divided the nation ?and then the start of 'cancel' culture.

What about the transition to the 20s? Or do you consider there not to have been a proper transition year yet?
Original post by Student32123!!
What about the transition to the 20s? Or do you consider there not to have been a proper transition year yet?

Going into the 20's we had covid. from that I guess most of us appreciate the things we couldn't do when they was taken away from us, plus the NHS, carers who was on the front line of it all. But transitioning, I don't think there is much change now from when it was in 2019. Less holidays abroad and people are more skint?
oo
Music-wise and fashion-wise I feel there has been very little progress from c.2005 to 2022.

The major differences have been in technology, and woke culture.
(edited 2 years ago)
bump
Trans people existing is "decline"? Billy Tipton and Christine Jorgenson transitioned in the 1920s and 1950s, respectively.

Original post by Free-Palestine
FRCYhenXsAAmBe6.jpg
This is progress apparently..

We're heading for a better future? nope

You're being led to self destruction

Wests been in rapid decline since 60s imo every generation is worse and worse

Quick Reply

Latest