Too late to apply for masters at Warwick computer science?

Watch this thread
shagonprime
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is it too late to apply for masters at Warwick for comp sci in March or Imperial? I meet the requirements for both, it's just the deadline I am worried about.
stevenball
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by shagonprime)
Is it too late to apply for masters at Warwick for comp sci in March or Imperial? I meet the requirements for both, it's just the deadline I am worried about.
I don't think it's too late to apply for Warwick since I haven't even gotten any update since I applied in December.
Warwick PG Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi,

I'm a current MSc Computer Science student. As long as they don't fill the places, it should be fine. I have a friend who applied to the masters in July 2021 to start in September 2021. However to be on the safe side, I would advise to apply sooner rather than later so you don't risk them giving out all of the offers.

If you have any questions about the course or Warwick, feel free to ask.

Davina
shagonprime
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Warwick PG Rep)
Hi,

I'm a current MSc Computer Science student. As long as they don't fill the places, it should be fine. I have a friend who applied to the masters in July 2021 to start in September 2021. However to be on the safe side, I would advise to apply sooner rather than later so you don't risk them giving out all of the offers.

If you have any questions about the course or Warwick, feel free to ask.

Davina
What modules did you select, and how long did it take for them to respond to your application?
Warwick PG Rep
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
What modules did you select, and how long did it take for them to respond to your application?
Hi,

I believe I applied around November and heard back late April.

Modules I have done this year:

Compulsory modules:
1. Foundations of Computing
2. Research Methods
3. Dissertation (60 CATS)

Optional Modules:
1. Natural Language Processing
2. Foundations of Data Analytics
3. Algorithmic Game Theory
4. Social Informatics
5. Quantum Computing
6. Data Mining

Any questions about modules or the course, please let me know!

Davina
Makoto37
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I believe I applied around November and heard back late April.

Modules I have done this year:

Compulsory modules:
1. Foundations of Computing
2. Research Methods
3. Dissertation (60 CATS)

Optional Modules:
1. Natural Language Processing
2. Foundations of Data Analytics
3. Algorithmic Game Theory
4. Social Informatics
5. Quantum Computing
6. Data Mining

Any questions about modules or the course, please let me know!

Davina
Hi! I'm considering going for MSc Computer Science at Warwick, and was wondering how much of the course is theoretical and revolved around math.

I've finished my CS BSc with an 85%+, and I'm confident in my programming abilities, but it's been a long time since I've used any math seriously, and would now probably struggle even with simple equations. How much of a problem would that be in Warwick's CS course?

Also, how would you compare the workload and overall course difficulty to your undergraduate final year? Was it stressful, or did you ever feel like you could not make it (eg. piled up deadlines, hard exams)?
And lastly, were there any modules that stood out as either interesting, enjoyable, or exceedingly difficult/time consuming?

Thank you!
Last edited by Makoto37; 1 month ago
Warwick PG Rep
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Makoto37)
Hi! I'm considering going for MSc Computer Science at Warwick, and was wondering how much of the course is theoretical and revolved around math.

I've finished my CS BSc with an 85%+, and I'm confident in my programming abilities, but it's been a long time since I've used any math seriously, and would now probably struggle even with simple equations. How much of a problem would that be in Warwick's CS course?

Also, how would you compare the workload and overall course difficulty to your undergraduate final year? Was it stressful, or did you ever feel like you could not make it (eg. piled up deadlines, hard exams)?
And lastly, were there any modules that stood out as either interesting, enjoyable, or exceedingly difficult/time consuming?

Thank you!
Heyy,

I would say overall, the Comp Sci course at Warwick is more mathsy than others, but I think coming from a background of such string CS, I don't think it would be an issue for you.

I did maths as my undergrad at Warwick, which I found much more difficult than my masters in CS, but I think I'm a very applied maths person, and the Warwick course is very pure, so that kind of added to the difficulty of an already very difficult course.

From my experience, the most maths based modules are: Algorithmic Game Theory, Quantum Computing, Quantum Complexity, Agent Based Systems and Computational Biology. With Computational Biology and Quantum Computing generally being known as the hardest modules.

The compulsory modules don't require too much maths, there's a module called Foundations of Computing that has a maths based assignment (1 programming, 1 on algorithms and 1 maths/ stats based), but it's taught really well as is largely logic and stats based. Apart from that, you can chose the more coding based modules such as High Performance Computing, Image and Video Analysis, Data Mining, Foundations of Data Analytics, Sensor Networks and Mobile Data Communications, Advanced Computer Security, Social Informatics and Natural Language Processing. So still lots to choose from!

In most of the more coding style modules, you are expected to know the theoretical aspects of models, eg. of SVM (including gradient descent), Naive Bayes (Bayes stats stuff) and Neural Networks (so partial differential equations used fairly heavily).

The year works out 1/3 coursework, 1/3 exams and 1/3 dissertation on average.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps!

Davina
Makoto37
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Heyy,

I would say overall, the Comp Sci course at Warwick is more mathsy than others, but I think coming from a background of such string CS, I don't think it would be an issue for you.

I did maths as my undergrad at Warwick, which I found much more difficult than my masters in CS, but I think I'm a very applied maths person, and the Warwick course is very pure, so that kind of added to the difficulty of an already very difficult course.

From my experience, the most maths based modules are: Algorithmic Game Theory, Quantum Computing, Quantum Complexity, Agent Based Systems and Computational Biology. With Computational Biology and Quantum Computing generally being known as the hardest modules.

The compulsory modules don't require too much maths, there's a module called Foundations of Computing that has a maths based assignment (1 programming, 1 on algorithms and 1 maths/ stats based), but it's taught really well as is largely logic and stats based. Apart from that, you can chose the more coding based modules such as High Performance Computing, Image and Video Analysis, Data Mining, Foundations of Data Analytics, Sensor Networks and Mobile Data Communications, Advanced Computer Security, Social Informatics and Natural Language Processing. So still lots to choose from!

In most of the more coding style modules, you are expected to know the theoretical aspects of models, eg. of SVM (including gradient descent), Naive Bayes (Bayes stats stuff) and Neural Networks (so partial differential equations used fairly heavily).

The year works out 1/3 coursework, 1/3 exams and 1/3 dissertation on average.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps!

Davina
Thank you for the thorough answer, it was very helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads