The Student Room Group

pre registration nursing course

Hi,
could you pls tell me the difference between a pre registration nursing course and a non pre registration nursing course. like how will the pre registration one benefit me while registering with NMC and also while looking for employment.

Thanks for your help!
Pre-registration means that it's for people that don't yet have the qualifications they need to be able to register as a nurse. After you do the qualification, you can apply for your nursing registration
The non pre-registration courses are designed for current nurses to train in an area they're interested or need to train in or to train in another branch of nursing. Only registered nurses can do non pre-registration courses

TLDR: Non pre-registration is for people who are already nurses. Pre-registration is for people who want to become nurses
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MedicWil
Pre-registration means that it's for people that don't yet have the qualifications they need to be able to register as a nurse. After you do the qualification, you can apply for your nursing registration
The non pre-registration courses are designed for current nurses to train in an area they're interested or need to train in or to train in another branch of nursing. Only registered nurses can do non pre-registration courses

I am an international student, just completed my high school. Actually I received an offer from Northumbria for BSc Hons Adult nursing pre registration which says that I'll graduate with registration along with pin number. However another offer I received from Birmingham City University for BSc Hons Adult nursing doesn't say that it is a pre registration course but I'll be eligible to apply for registration with NMC.
So like would there be any difference in the coursework or the procedure for registration after graduation? also which one do you think will be beneficial for me?
There is a huge difference in the fees so I was struggling to make a decision.
I'll appreciate if you could give me some advice.

Thanks
Original post by annMS
I am an international student, just completed my high school. Actually I received an offer from Northumbria for BSc Hons Adult nursing pre registration which says that I'll graduate with registration along with pin number. However another offer I received from Birmingham City University for BSc Hons Adult nursing doesn't say that it is a pre registration course but I'll be eligible to apply for registration with NMC.
So like would there be any difference in the coursework or the procedure for registration after graduation? also which one do you think will be beneficial for me?

Thanks

Hello @annMS!
I'm also an international student.

Did you apply thru an agency? If yes, then check with them to ensure if the BSc offered at BCU is pre-registration or not. And since we can't always trust the agencies, would be better if you make a direct inquiry to the University. I think "eligible to apply for registration with NMC" mostly means it's not a pre-registration course...but just check with them if you're keen on going for a pre-registration course.

Don't know about the coursework difference or registration procedure. Pre-registration would be beneficial for you if you are looking to be employed as soon as you finish your course....so beneficial or not, depends on your goals.

P.s. also received an offer from Northumbria!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by annMS

Thanks

Any BSc or BN in adult nursing is pre-registration. The one at Birmingham City is pre-registration just like the Northimbria one, just Birmingham assume that you already know that.
(I'm an NMC registered nurse who studied a nursing degree that wasn't advertised as pre-registration bur very definitely was)
Every single student nurse - including ones at both Northumbria and Birmingham City - finish their degrees with an application to the NMC for their registrations. You fill in some forms at the very end of your degree which say that you're fit to enter the register (about 2-3 forms), the uni fills in stuff proving that you've passed the course, and the uni sends them all off to the NMC for your registration. You don't have to send anything off or apply - the uni sends everything off for you, and you wait for an email from the NMC about your registration.
As for the coursework, it's slightly different at every uni offering nursing degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest