The Student Room Group

Masters in Environment, Sustainability, Development - Goldsmiths, Sussex or UCL?

Hi!

I just got accepted to the Sustainable Development MSc at USussex
and to the MA in Ecology, Culture & Society at Goldsmiths.

I am also thinking about applying to the Environment, Politics and Society MSc at UCL, but I am a bit worried with the workload - as an international student, it is mandatory that I go for the full-time course.

Any advice on where to go?
Reply 1
UCL is definitely the most reputable out of all mentioned, though you are correct that it comes with the workload. And for the study period, it depends on university & courses some offers only FT but some you can also choose PT.

Ps. I’m also an international student (starting Sep 22), and I’ve spent a semester abroad at Sussex before during my undergrad, and can honestly say that I loved it there. The uni vibe is so friendly, everyone was so nice and helpful and Brighton is obviously beautiful. So if rankings don’t really matter to you, Sussex is highly recommended!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for answering and congrats on being accepted! I will also start Sep 22, just don't know where lol. Where will you be studying?

I am curious about what you said about the FT and PT modes: what came up in my research was that we, international students, can only apply for the FT version. Do you have other info about that? Will you also be studying FT?

PS. Everyone talks so highly of their experience at Sussex, it really makes me inclined to accept it. It is also the 01 ranked for development studies, but to have the name UCL in my CV as a parent uni probably trumps that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you! And I’m also still trying to decide mine aha, but I’ll be going for MSc International Management.

For FT/PT mode, unfortunately I have no further information. But for my programme, international students are allowed to choose PT mode as well, so I’m not sure if it depends on the course. I think asking the uni directly would give you more accurate information though.

And yes! My Sussex experience was unquestionably memorable, and if it’s #1 ranked in your department then I’d highly suggest it!!

Please feel free to inbox me if you’d like to chat more though! It’s great for me as well to get some connections before going in the autumn :smile: Best of luck!

Original post by bcintra
Thanks a lot for answering and congrats on being accepted! I will also start Sep 22, just don't know where lol. Where will you be studying?

I am curious about what you said about the FT and PT modes: what came up in my research was that we, international students, can only apply for the FT version. Do you have other info about that? Will you also be studying FT?

PS. Everyone talks so highly of their experience at Sussex, it really makes me inclined to accept it. It is also the 01 ranked for development studies, but to have the name UCL in my CV as a parent uni probably trumps that.
Original post by bcintra
Hi!

I just got accepted to the Sustainable Development MSc at USussex
and to the MA in Ecology, Culture & Society at Goldsmiths.

I am also thinking about applying to the Environment, Politics and Society MSc at UCL, but I am a bit worried with the workload - as an international student, it is mandatory that I go for the full-time course.

Any advice on where to go?

I'm thinking of applying to the same course. What is your background, out of interest? Did you consider any other sustainable development programmes (e.g. Edinburgh, Bristol and KCL have similar programmes) and why did you reject them?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Hey!

The reason why I didn't apply to this or that programme varied, so I'll you what I generally looked for during my research and why I chose to apply to USussex (I assume it's this one and not Goldsmiths you are referring too?).

I liked their approach to development and to sustainability (read all the classes' descriptions, looked the teachers up, their research etc), the department (SPRU) is very good, and I really wanted to engage with the Institute of Development Studies activities if possible. Also Brighton seemed like a good place to live and it didn't hurt that the uni consistently ranks at #1 in dev studies for some years now (because of IDS, it seems).

But

they just recently changed the programme's curriculum and now it is very innovation oriented, which is not what I was looking for, so I am happily going to Goldsmiths. The curriculum I liked is still offered online and it is taught by IDS.

About my background, I have a bachelor's in Architecture and Urban Planning, but I think that what mattered the most for both USussex and Goldsmiths was the fact that I've been working with sustainable development initiatives and interacting with Amazonian communities for a few years now.

Hope my answer helps and best of luck in your applications (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending