The Student Room Group

Warwick or Durham for Maths

I’ve had offers for both Warwick and Durham for maths but I am unsure which one would be better for me.

My entrance requirements are the same for both except I have to get a grade 2 in the STEP for Warwick.

All the forums and rankings I’ve seen place them fairly evenly so I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about either of them and could give me some more insight to help me with my decision.

Thank you
I go to Durham, my mate went to warwick then dropped out saying course was too easy..
What were your predicted grades and subjects? Also did u do any other entrance exams?
Reply 3
Original post by Yeahcourse
What were your predicted grades and subjects? Also did u do any other entrance exams?

I do French, Physics and Further Maths and I’m predicted four A*s. I applied to Oxford too so I took the MAT and submitted it to both Durham and Warwick but didn’t do well enough to get a reduced offer or interview at Oxford.
Original post by asianism
I go to Durham, my mate went to warwick then dropped out saying course was too easy..

Which course was that for? Because for maths it's likely the opposite.
Warwick has more options in pure maths, but it's hardly an intergalactic difference like with some universities, you could do a lot worse. I don't think you'd be missing out on much academically going to either. I'd imagine Durham is a nicer uni and is better in a lot of non-academic respects.

If you find Warwick too easy past first year, you would probably only be happy at Cambridge and could apply for Part III if you wanted. Though I'd encourage not overestimating the difference between Oxbridge and other universities.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ilan1614
I’ve had offers for both Warwick and Durham for maths but I am unsure which one would be better for me.

My entrance requirements are the same for both except I have to get a grade 2 in the STEP for Warwick.

All the forums and rankings I’ve seen place them fairly evenly so I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about either of them and could give me some more insight to help me with my decision.

Thank you

I would say go for Warwick as the course is probably the best outside Oxbridge, on par with Imperial. However, if you vastly prefer the location of Durham then go for Durham instead. In terms of general reputation they are fairly similar but Warwick certainly has a notcieably better reputation for Maths (though it can be argued how much this affects the undergard experience). What careers are you looking at in the future?
Reply 7
Original post by mxtt_helm
I would say go for Warwick as the course is probably the best outside Oxbridge, on par with Imperial. However, if you vastly prefer the location of Durham then go for Durham instead. In terms of general reputation they are fairly similar but Warwick certainly has a notcieably better reputation for Maths (though it can be argued how much this affects the undergard experience). What careers are you looking at in the future?

I live in Guernsey so haven’t been able to visit either yet because of COVID but I’m going to visit them both in April but from what I’ve seen and heard Durham seems to be the nicer place to live.

In terms of career I’ve not really settled on anything but if I was forced to choose now I’d probably go down the research path but I don’t really want to base it off of that because I don’t really have a clue right now.

Thank you though, I’ve seen similar things about the course being one of the top in the country but it might just come down to which I like more when I visit.
Reply 8
Original post by Ilan1614
I live in Guernsey so haven’t been able to visit either yet because of COVID but I’m going to visit them both in April but from what I’ve seen and heard Durham seems to be the nicer place to live.

In terms of career I’ve not really settled on anything but if I was forced to choose now I’d probably go down the research path but I don’t really want to base it off of that because I don’t really have a clue right now.

Thank you though, I’ve seen similar things about the course being one of the top in the country but it might just come down to which I like more when I visit.

Yes I think visiting will really help (particularly if you can go on an offer holder day, or at least a day when students are around - being a campus, Warwick can feel very different during quiet periods of holidays, so you might not get the most typical impression if you come during the uni's Easter break!).

Warwick and Durham are both unis I was unsure of until I visited, so I can definitely relate. When I did I found I absolutely hated Durham and loved Warwick, but my sister loved Durham and is completely indifferent towards Warwick, so it's a very personal thing :smile:
Original post by asianism
I go to Durham, my mate went to warwick then dropped out saying course was too easy..mab

ur friend made possibly the dumbest decision ever

Quick Reply

Latest