The Student Room Group

Gcse options

Hi I’m in year 9 and I picking my options in a couple of weeks.

I will be doing the compulsory subjects which are English lit and language,maths,triple science and a language

My optional subjects are computer science geography and economics

Are these good options and what will I be learning in them

Also I wanted to know if dropping a language is allowed and in my school it’s compulsory but I’m really terrible in it and I don’t understand a thing
Reply 1
I studied computer science and it’s quite easy, usually starts you off with Python. You’ll learn about hardware, security and other basic computer info :smile:
Original post by Depressed44

I will be doing the compulsory subjects which are English lit and language,maths,triple science and a language

Also I wanted to know if dropping a language is allowed and in my school it’s compulsory but I’m really terrible in it and I don’t understand a thing

There is no rule that you have to take a language - many school try to make you so their Ebacc data stays high. It's of no benefit to you.

You need to look up the specifications to find what you'll learn about :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Schotel
I studied computer science and it’s quite easy, usually starts you off with Python. You’ll learn about hardware, security and other basic computer info :smile:

Thanks, we haven’t started computer science yet as I haven’t picked my options yet, are there any resources for computer science that I can learn to be ahead of everyone else when we start it
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
There is no rule that you have to take a language - many school try to make you so their Ebacc data stays high. It's of no benefit to you.

You need to look up the specifications to find what you'll learn about :smile:

Thanks, so what can I do to drop it as it’s compulsory in my school

I studied geography at GCSE, with OCR B. you'll learn things such as different rocks and the formations of hills and valleys, climate change issues and sustainability within the world. you will also learn about case studies of LIDC, EDC and AC countries and what they need to do to improve. Hope this helps!
Thanks, so what can I do to drop it as it’s compulsory in my school

Ask why its compulsory and get your parents to request you don't have to take one.

No university now requires a MFL for degree entry [except for langauge degrees].

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest