The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Is Glasgow safe?

I am wondering if any current students at Glasgow could speak to safety in the city, as I have heard that Glasgow is not the safest place. The uni looks amazing but safety is really important to me, so I would just like to be sure before making a decision.
I asked a similar question a while back, and someone who lives in Glasgow answered:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7161517

Researching online, it seems there are just certain areas to avoid? But I'm not clear on actual safety either.
(edited 2 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by penguingirl18
I asked a similar question a while back, and someone who lives in Glasgow answered:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7161517

Researching online, it seems there are just certain areas to avoid? But I'm not clear on actual safety either.

Thank you!
Yeah, I got the same idea online as well... I am sure that all big cities to some extent have a problem with safety, and have some neighbourhoods that are "worse" than others.
On a side note, out of the uni's you got into (congrats!), which are you leaning towards?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you!
Yeah, I got the same idea online as well... I am sure that all big cities to some extent have a problem with safety, and have some neighbourhoods that are "worse" than others.
On a side note, out of the uni's you got into (congrats!), which are you leaning towards?

Yeah, that's probably true. I wouldn't have thought too much about it except I read that Glasgow has the highest murder rate in Europe, which really startled me. I'm leaning towards York, but I haven't quite decided and I haven't heard from KCL, Glasgow or Leeds yet. What about you?
Reply 4
Yeah, that's probably true. I wouldn't have thought too much about it except I read that Glasgow has the highest murder rate in Europe, which really startled me. I'm leaning towards York, but I haven't quite decided and I haven't heard from KCL, Glasgow or Leeds yet. What about you?

I'm really struggling to decide! I've gotten into St. Andrews, Exeter, Bristol and Glasgow (for English lit - postgraduate), and now I am just waiting to hear back from Edinburgh. I really want to go to St. Andrews but I feel as though Glasgow or Edinburgh's programmes might be a better fit to my research interests.
As a CEO and Oxford grad I can confirm that Glasgow is perfectly safe, I actually opened a factory in Glasgow and recruited the locals to work in it to escape the Whangdoodles, the Hornswogglers, and the Snozzwangers. Sometimes we get people visiting and sing them songs, I pay them in cocoa beans and they don't go anywhere near the fizzy lifting potions.

Again as other commenters have stated do your research beforehand and make sure to scrutinize crime stats etc, maybe visit areas you are thinking about renting in or buying a place in.

Yours Sincerely,
Prefect1992
I'm really struggling to decide! I've gotten into St. Andrews, Exeter, Bristol and Glasgow (for English lit - postgraduate), and now I am just waiting to hear back from Edinburgh. I really want to go to St. Andrews but I feel as though Glasgow or Edinburgh's programmes might be a better fit to my research interests.

Congrats on your acceptances. :smile: Funny, I've applied for English literature at undergraduate.
(edited 2 years ago)
Just found this recent thread on the same topic:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6941214

I also just read that apparently Glasgow has gotten safer in recent years, although that article's a bit old.

I wonder if Glasgow has student chats? I know some unis have chat buttons to connect applicants with current students, although I haven't done that.
Original post by Prefect1992
As a CEO and Oxford grad I can confirm that Glasgow is perfectly safe, I actually opened a factory in Glasgow and recruited the locals to work in it to escape the Whangdoodles, the Hornswogglers, and the Snozzwangers. Sometimes we get people visiting and sing them songs, I pay them in cocoa beans and they don't go anywhere near the fizzy lifting potions.

Again as other commenters have stated do your research beforehand and make sure to scrutinize crime stats etc, maybe visit areas you are thinking about renting in or buying a place in.

Yours Sincerely,
Prefect1992

I've seen you everywhere now why do you feel the need to state the CEO and Oxford grad bit all the time lmao
I've seen you everywhere now why do you feel the need to state the CEO and Oxford grad bit all the time lmao

Because Willy Wonka wasn't a CEO or Oxford grad, and "Prefect1992" is unsuccesfully trying to convince you that they aren't Willy Wonka. The mention of Whangdoodles gives it away though.

Hello, just to clarify
1. I am CEO
2. I am an Oxford Graduate
3. I want to flex it on the fake "Oxford Applicants"
Because Willy Wonka wasn't a CEO or Oxford grad, and "Prefect1992" is unsuccesfully trying to convince you that they aren't Willy Wonka. The mention of Whangdoodles gives it away though.

So I am Willy Wonka then and since I am a CEO and Oxford Graduate then Willy Wonka must be both a CEO and Oxford Graduate.
Also Whangdoodles is just a codename me and the boys use for 5g towers like the ones we use to cook the most exquisite mixed grill by dangling a sirloin, some chops, some sausages, some tomatoes and a mushroom in front of one.

Anyway I just used up a 30 second time slot writing this comment, now it's time for my 30 second business meeting with the owners of a TNC to discuss our latest business venture, a chain of restaurants serving chicken tartare with no seats and ambient Neolithic noises played 24/7 over a loud speaker for the paleo bros.

Yours Sincerely,
Prefect1992

Oxford Graduate
CEO
Entrepreneur
Philanthropist

Lol
Just found this recent thread on the same topic:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6941214

I also just read that apparently Glasgow has gotten safer in recent years, although that article's a bit old.

I wonder if Glasgow has student chats? I know some unis have chat buttons to connect applicants with current students, although I haven't done that.

Thanks for this! Yes, I reached out to someone on the Glasgow student chat about this but have yet to hear back. It seems like a lot of the violent crime is directly related to those involved in crime, so I should be good lol. Either way, it will be a huge adjustment for me as the place I currently live in has about 150,000 people (and is really spread out).
Thanks for this! Yes, I reached out to someone on the Glasgow student chat about this but have yet to hear back. It seems like a lot of the violent crime is directly related to those involved in crime, so I should be good lol. Either way, it will be a huge adjustment for me as the place I currently live in has about 150,000 people (and is really spread out).

I've lived in Glasgow's moderately rougher bits for about 20 years and its a lot safer than it was, esp to outsiders and tourists.

I'd agree the majority of city violence is criminals vs criminals. A lot of these people kinda fight because of feuds with people and families they grow up with more or less. I wasn't brought up in Glasgow so no one really gives a monkeys about me.

The student bits tend to be largely safe apart from people who have had too much to drink.
Original post by StriderHort
I've lived in Glasgow's moderately rougher bits for about 20 years and its a lot safer than it was, esp to outsiders and tourists.

I'd agree the majority of city violence is criminals vs criminals. A lot of these people kinda fight because of feuds with people and families they grow up with more or less. I wasn't brought up in Glasgow so no one really gives a monkeys about me.

The student bits tend to be largely safe apart from people who have had too much to drink.

Thank you! I really appreciate your input

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending