The Student Room Group

Oxford Maths Admissions Test 2008

Poll

What do you think you got?

***At least 2 people who have voted "91-100" did not sit the paper***

Just a little over a day to go now so I thought I'd make this thread. How's everyone feeling? Any predictions :p:? In a lot of ways I can't wait to get this test over and done with.

I think it'll be quite interesting to see how hard they make it see this year compared with last year's because, even though the syllabus was made easier last year, the average scores fell significantly, perhaps indicating the test was quite hard. The test gets a lot of criticism (mainly from Cambridge applicants/students) that it's too easy compared with STEP so it'll be interesting to know what Oxford thinks about its test.

Here's a fun fact: most people get 3 interviews which last around 20 mins each. So that's about 60 mins on average. Combined with the test, it means that you only have 150 + 60 mins = 210 mins = 3.5 hours in which you can now directly affect your application. So, in a way, 150/210 = 5/7ths of the procedure that's left on your end will be done on the 5th :eek3:.

Remember everyone; do not discuss the details test on the 5th on TSR because different people sit it at different times. But let's do a proper dissection on the 6th :wink:.

Scroll to see replies

I'm super stressed, the test is just based on c1 and c2 right, as I can remember a little c3 and virtually no c4!
Reply 2
abcdefg1990
I'm super stressed, the test is just based on c1 and c2 right

Well... you only need C1 and C2 knowledge to do the test, but I'd imagine that a little bit of C3 and C4 might help you to reach solutions more quickly and elegantly.
BJack
Well... you only need C1 and C2 knowledge to do the test, but I'd imagine that a little bit of C3 and C4 might help you to reach solutions more quickly and elegantly.

maybe, but from what i see of the kinda questions they have on the test, neither c1 or c2 even feature in an explicit way, its more logical thinking, especially question 5.
Reply 4
abcdefg1990
its more logical thinking, especially question 5.

Question 5 is meant to be more fun, I think.
BJack

FUN?? that's the worst question, well for me anyway. and how come oxford put so few exam papers on their website? I'm thinking they don't want those people who do well in exams by simply doing exam paper after exam paper.
Reply 6
BJack

if you get it right....

dunno, got mixed feelings over this test, could go great, could go horribly, its the first test i've done in ages, where i really don't know how i'll do, with normal module exams, i'd always been quietly confident, can't say the same here, but good luck everyone!
Reply 7
I hate not being able to discuss is straight away! MSN anyone :wink: ?
Reply 8
Argh. Sometimes I'm feeling slightly confident, and other times I'm just thinking *ARGHHH I won't even get an interview!*

Trying to keep positive though! Just need to try and remember all the basics, not to overlook things, read the question properly, think outside the box....

I haven't been able to time myself doing the test so I don't know how I'm doing timewise though. :/ Am going to check tomorrow the details of the test; Someone told me last year we had it at 11am or something?
Reply 9
abcdefg1990
how come oxford put so few exam papers on their website? I'm thinking they don't want those people who do well in exams by simply doing exam paper after exam paper.

yeah that's probably the reason. I presume they want to see what we can do *naturally*.

A bit of a problem for me I suppose if I like doing paper after paper and learning from mistakes.
Reply 10
yellynh

I haven't been able to time myself doing the test so I don't know how I'm doing timewise though. :/ Am going to check tomorrow the details of the test; Someone told me last year we had it at 11am or something?

I have it at 9am, also anyone taking the day off tomorrow? don't know if i should, can't really revise anymore, but possibly just to relax? i dunno lol.
Reply 11
good luck!!!!!! :biggrin:
you'll all do great!!!

and anyways, congrats on getting this far :yep:
Reply 12
Good luck everyone! I'm seriously glad I'm not in your shoes though :P
Reply 13
cvat
I have it at 9am, also anyone taking the day off tomorrow? don't know if i should, can't really revise anymore, but possibly just to relax? i dunno lol.

that's a good idea!! but seriously, GO TO BED.

haha i sound like my parents but it helps soooo much if you sleep at night before tests and exams, naps dont count really!
Reply 14
do well guys
Reply 15
I've never had a good night sleep before an exam. If anything I stay up even later and won't go bed until 5am.
Reply 16
cvat
also anyone taking the day off tomorrow?

:no: I don't have school but I do have a rehearsal from 12-5 for the school play, which I'm not allowed to miss (on pain of death). And I have a physics test on Wednesday as well. *dies*
this may sound like a stupid question, but for those doing the exam on wednesday, do you no whether you have to write in pen or can you write in pencil? i always write in pen just i case but i would prefer to write in pencil. (lol reading that back to myself i sound so geeky)
Reply 18
I was going to take a day off.

But then I found out I have a very important meeting (ironically, for oxbridge applicants), and also must be present at an assembly (prefect duties).
Well. I only have a double physics period so I guess it isn't too bad.
Reply 19
yellynh
I was going to take a day off.

But then I found out I have a very important meeting (ironically, for oxbridge applicants), and also must be present at an assembley (prefect duties).
Well. I only have a double physics period so I guess it isn't too bad.

I've got senior prefect duty also so there's no way i could skive...again :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest