What is the passing grade?

Watch this thread
idkig
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
is there a possibility i can still pass IGCSEs even if i get 30 or 40/100?
username5919249
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by idkig)
is there a possibility i can still pass IGCSEs even if i get 30 or 40/100?
Depends on the grade boundary and the subject. Grade 4 is a low pass. Anything less is fail.
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Grade boundaries vary by subject, exam board, and year. For some subjects it also depends on whether you take the Foundation or Higher paper.

Also, IGCSEs (like GCSEs) are now graded 1 (lowest) through 9 (highest), so even very low percentages will likely achieve a grade of some kind. Having said that, generally speaking, a grade 4 would be considered a "pass" and a grade 5 a "good pass".

The percentages you're taking about could achieve a grade 4 or 5, depending on all the things I mentioned above. What subjects (and exam boards) are you taking IGSEs for?
idkig
Rep:
(Original post by DataVenia)
Grade boundaries vary by subject, exam board, and year. For some subjects it also depends on whether you take the Foundation or Higher paper.

Also, IGCSEs (like GCSEs) are now graded 1 (lowest) through 9 (highest), so even very low percentages will likely achieve a grade of some kind. Having said that, generally speaking, a grade 4 would be considered a "pass" and a grade 5 a "good pass".

The percentages you're taking about could achieve a grade 4 or 5, depending on all the things I mentioned above. What subjects (and exam boards) are you taking IGSEs for?
The subjects I am taking are:
English as in second language
Math
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
ICT
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
OK. You don't mention the exam board (which does have an impact). I'm going to guess your exam board is Pearson/Edexcel (as I can see they offer English as a Second Language as an IGCSE). There are different Maths papers available, so I'll list each of them. You'll need to establish which paper you're being entered for.

I'm going to struggle to get to present neatly in this editor, but here are the minimum (rounded) percentages you would need to get a grade 4 ("pass";) or grade 5 ("good pass";) in each of those subjects, with Pearson/Edexcel, in Summer 2019 (the last time GCSEs/IGCSEs took place in the UK):

English as a Second Language: 65% (grade 4) / 71% (grade 5)
Mathematics A (Foundation): 57% (grade 4) / 67% (grade 5)
Mathematics A (Higher): 21% (grade 4) / 31% (grade 5)
Mathematics B: 25% (grade 4) / 35% (grade 5)
Biology: 40% (grade 4) / 46% (grade 5)
Chemistry: 42% (grade 4) / 48% (grade 5)
Physics: 36% (grade 4) / 42% (grade 5)
ICT: 35% (grade 4) / 43% (grade 5)

All the gory details are in https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...boundaries.pdf.

However, do note that I've guessed the exam board you're using and have guessed that you're in the UK (there are different papers and hence different boundaries for the "regional" versions of the papers). Also, these are Summer 2019 numbers. They move around slightly every year.
idkig
Rep:
Yes, I am doing my exams in bahrain and my board is CIE. Thanks a lot for the information.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (56)
26.54%
As I expected (67)
31.75%
Harder (80)
37.91%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.79%

Watched Threads