The Student Room Group

How will a homeschooler do the non - examination assessment for English language?

I was wondering how I will be able to do the non exams assessment for a homeschooler will my tutor give me one or…
Reply 1
Original post by Midnight786
I was wondering how I will be able to do the non exams assessment for a homeschooler will my tutor give me one or…

Hi,
I'm a self-study/homeschooled student doing GCSEs for this coming exam season. I don't know about whether your tutor will give you one or not (I've never had a tutor), but I know that when you book in your examinations at an exam centre/school, some of them offer the GCSE English Language NEA as an add-on; you have to pay more, as it's not included as part of the fees for the written exam itself, but it means that you can do it there. Just make sure to check that whatever exam centre you book for your GCSEs does offer the NEA, as I don't think all of them do.
Hope this helps :smile:
I'm not sure what you mean, but it looks like your tutor will need to authenticate your NEA. This seems to involve some tutor-assigned tasks along the way. I think your tutor can advise you on choosing texts.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-parent-support/private-candidates/non-exam-assessment
Reply 3
There are 2 main choices:

You do an IGCSE English Language option which is 100% assessed by an exam. This can be done with Edexcel or CAIE - it's easier to find a centre to accept you for Edexcel. IGCSEs are accepted as equivalent to GCSEs by universities.

You find an exam centre willing to conduct the speaking and listening assessment of GCSE English Language as part of the exam package.

The exam centre is responsible for ensuring that the NEA is run correctly and that all the grades they submit are assessed to the same standard - unless your tutor has a working relationship with them the tutor can't conduct the NEA
(edited 2 years ago)

Are you taking the exam in 2022?
Most home educated students do IGCSE rather than GCSE for English Language, as there is no speaking component.

There are three choices for IGCSE.
1) Edexcel IGCSE English Language A
2) Edexcel IGCSE English Language B
3) CIE English Language

Are you currently studying GCSE with a tutor? When are you due to take exams?
Reply 6
Original post by Lwanty
Hi,
I'm a self-study/homeschooled student doing GCSEs for this coming exam season. I don't know about whether your tutor will give you one or not (I've never had a tutor), but I know that when you book in your examinations at an exam centre/school, some of them offer the GCSE English Language NEA as an add-on; you have to pay more, as it's not included as part of the fees for the written exam itself, but it means that you can do it there. Just make sure to check that whatever exam centre you book for your GCSEs does offer the NEA, as I don't think all of them do.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much for your help!!
Reply 7
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Most home educated students do IGCSE rather than GCSE for English Language, as there is no speaking component.

There are three choices for IGCSE.
1) Edexcel IGCSE English Language A
2) Edexcel IGCSE English Language B
3) CIE English Language
Are you currently studying GCSE with a tutor? When are you due to take exams?

I am currently in year 10 and I am planning to return to school due to the amount of fee needed so I should be fine as long as I am accepted back though I feel like I will be behind everyone.
I am currently in year 10 and I am planning to return to school due to the amount of fee needed so I should be fine as long as I am accepted back though I feel like I will be behind everyone.

Best of luck with your return to school.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest