Nursing Students (Adult and/or Mental Health)

Watch this thread
emily.anglia
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I'm a third year Msc dual field adult and mental health nursing student at Southampton University. If anyone has any questions about nursing, the course or anything else let me know )
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by emily.anglia)
Hi, I'm a third year Msc dual field adult and mental health nursing student at Southampton University. If anyone has any questions about nursing, the course or anything else let me know )
Purely out of curiosity...
How do you plan on maintaining both registrations?
What jobs are there out there which allow you to easily maintain - and revalidate for - both registrations as an adult and MH registrant?
Allyson2020
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
What jobs are there out there which allow you to easily maintain - and revalidate for - both registrations as an adult and MH registrant?
It's will be difficult to do but achievable providing that they get two jobs in both fields of nursing that they are doing degree's in.
Obviously Emily they would both need to be probably part-time with working the exact same day's per week for each of these rather than the variable shift pattern as only way to do it unless the particular hospital trust insists that they must work the variable shifts as adult nurse and depending where they tend to do the mental health about as in community or hospital based.. They have to make sure that they meet the target hours over the 3 year's before renewing there registrations for them both. Think it's 450 hours for each one.

If they are not going to work in both fields them chose the one that they are more interested in and concentrate on that and at the end of the 3 year's drop one of the registration as no point having it if not using it.

I know exactly what it is like with dual registrations as you know Emily
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Good point that you have made Emily.
I think both positions would have to part-time position to accommodate the hours that they may be working as depending on what the shifts are & what sort of hours each one is per day as you know some hospital's work's different types of shifts.
Emily_B
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Allyson2020)
They have to make sure that they meet the target hours over the 3 year's before renewing there registrations for them both. Think it's 450 hours for each one.
It is 450 hours per registration But this is exactly why I'm asking a current dual field student how they plan on doing this - and what jobs are being marketed at them as being suitable to keep up both registrations.
Allyson2020
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It is 450 hours per registration But this is exactly why I'm asking a current dual field student how they plan on doing this - and what jobs are being marketed at them as being suitable to keep up both registrations.
Yes it's for each registration Emily 🙂 as required to have done 900 hours for the two. 😃
it's doesn't sound a lot to achieve but it's like equivalent to about 12 hours a shift over 13 working days a year ( if you divide the 450 into 3 = 150 Hours a year).. for each of the registration...? You would thought it would be more per year.. but it NMC who sets out things. Hopefully this makes sense to you.

This is what confused myself when trying to work out the hours required to do both my dual nursing registration Emily as was at first confusing but I have now worked things so that I know exactly what I can do to do the both I hold.

I put some extracts from the RCN website below for you to look at and hopefully this will make sense to you a bit better now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( A extract from the RCN on this ).
a dual registrant practising in two different roles
You have been practising as a dual registrant in two different roles – one in nursing and one in
midwifery – since your last renewal, either at the same time or at different times during that
period. For example, you practised as a midwife on a labour ward and also worked as a nurse in
a hospice. You must undertake a minimum of 450 hours of practice in each of your nursing and
midwifery roles (900 in total). You should record each role separately, with separate practice
hours and evidence for each.

How many hours do you have to do to revalidate....
What does revalidation involve.
In order to revalidate the NMC requires you to fulfil a number of requirements in each three-year registration period: 450 practice hours over three years (or 900 hours if you have a dual registration as a midwife and a nurse)

How many hours do I need to work to keep my nurse registration?
450 hours
You must have practised for a minimum number of hours over the three year period since your registration was last renewed or you joined the register.
Minimum practice hours required.
Registration Minimum practice hours required
Nurse 450 hours
Midwife 450 hours
Nursing associate 450 hours
Nurse and SCPHN 450 hours.
Allyson2020
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Emily,
I didn't mention anything about jobs possibilities in previous reply as I have been searching through our own NHS website for this .... I have only seen full-time hours of 37.5 hours a week advertised for adult nursing as loads available for this area, but only a handful of mental health position available which is again full-time position working mostly in the hospital with a couple for in the community.

Obviously I don't know situation in rest of the UK devolved governments health trusts plus OP didn't say anything about which part of the UK they are in.

I would imagine that there would be some sort of posts available to do both but it like you said getting suitable position to keep both up
Emily_B
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Allyson2020)
Yes it's for each registration Emily 🙂 as required to have done 900 hours for the two. 😃
it's doesn't sound a lot to achieve but it's like equivalent to about 12 hours a shift over 13 working days a year ( if you divide the 450 into 3 = 150 Hours a year).. for each of the registration...? You would thought it would be more per year.. but it NMC who sets out things. Hopefully this makes sense to you.

This is what confused myself when trying to work out the hours required to do both my dual nursing registration Emily as was at first confusing but I have now worked things so that I know exactly what I can do to do the both I hold.

I put some extracts from the RCN website below for you to look at and hopefully this will make sense to you a bit better now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( A extract from the RCN on this ).
a dual registrant practising in two different roles
You have been practising as a dual registrant in two different roles – one in nursing and one in
midwifery – since your last renewal, either at the same time or at different times during that
period. For example, you practised as a midwife on a labour ward and also worked as a nurse in
a hospice. You must undertake a minimum of 450 hours of practice in each of your nursing and
midwifery roles (900 in total). You should record each role separately, with separate practice
hours and evidence for each.

How many hours do you have to do to revalidate....
What does revalidation involve.
In order to revalidate the NMC requires you to fulfil a number of requirements in each three-year registration period: 450 practice hours over three years (or 900 hours if you have a dual registration as a midwife and a nurse)

How many hours do I need to work to keep my nurse registration?
450 hours
You must have practised for a minimum number of hours over the three year period since your registration was last renewed or you joined the register.
Minimum practice hours required.
Registration Minimum practice hours required
Nurse 450 hours
Midwife 450 hours
Nursing associate 450 hours
Nurse and SCPHN 450 hours.
Thanks for making the effort, but this is all stuff I already know.
What I was asking OP is how they plan on maintaining both registrations, and what sort of jobs are available to maintain a dual registration - ie working part time in 2 different jobs, or working for x amount of time in one setting then moving to another to do hours in both settings, of if there's some jobs that can accommodate both (e.g. like health visiting can support both adult nursing and SCPHN registrations).
Allyson2020
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for making the effort, but this is all stuff I already know.
What I was asking OP is how they plan on maintaining both registrations, and what sort of jobs are available to maintain a dual registration - ie working part time in 2 different jobs, or working for x amount of time in one setting then moving to another to do hours in both settings, of if there's some jobs that can accommodate both (e.g. like health visiting can support both adult nursing and SCPHN registrations).
Apologies for perhaps not saying that the information I said would be more beneficial to the OP rather than yourself as I know you already know this stuff. 🙁

Obviously I think that they would need to investigate what's available for to allow them to do both jobs at once similar to what you said at bottom of your message on health visitors position.

That's the thing we need to hear from the OP about how they going to maintain both registrations etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads