The Student Room Group

Getting into teaching options

Hi, so I have applied for 3 courses for primary teaching - school direct (non- salaried) and didn't get them as all of them said I don't have enough experience. I applied to get experiece. I don't know what to do now. I am a final year film production student so it's a change, do I apply for a university based one ? Like a pgce or will I need experience for that as well? What are my routes in?
Original post by domi2704
Hi, so I have applied for 3 courses for primary teaching - school direct (non- salaried) and didn't get them as all of them said I don't have enough experience. I applied to get experiece. I don't know what to do now. I am a final year film production student so it's a change, do I apply for a university based one ? Like a pgce or will I need experience for that as well? What are my routes in?

A uni-based PGCE is usually better anyway - most are being realistic about reduced oppotunities to get into a school at the moment. Have you approached any school to get in one afternoon a week?
Hello @domi2704

Have a look at the 5 most local providers to you - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/find-postgraduate-teacher-training-courses-in-england

Contact them all and make sure that they still have places available, and if they might be able to offer you some classroom or relevant experience. Explain what you'd be able to offer too (ie listen to the children read, lead a workshop on media studies) Also ask them the following, to decide if they're a good fit for you. -

Does the course offer a PGCE in addition to QTS? If so, what are the assignments and deadlines for them?
When does the course start and finish?
What does the year look like (what proportion is placements vs self-study days)? Will you be required to attend a University setting, if so, how often and when? How many other students will be on the course?
What proportion of trainees complete the course?
How are the two or more teaching practice placements decided?
What sort of distance might you be expected to commute?
How long are each teaching practice placements and where are they likely to be? Are beginner teachers placed in a school with at least one other trainee, or are they usually placed alone?
What will the expectations for meetings/INSET/open or parent’s evenings be during placements?
Who would be my mentor during my course?
How often will they be available to me? How experienced are they?
What opportunities will there to be to work with children with Additional Needs or Disability, English as an Additional Language or those who are Gifted and Talented?
Are there opportunities for teaching Early Years (if Primary) or A-level (if secondary)?
What opportunities will there be to participate in extra-curricular activities?

I would encourage you to get a adviser, a fully qualified teacher who is also expert and impartial in the application process for teacher training courses. They'll be able to look at your application and interview techniques to help you strengthen it. Get your adviser here. It's a FREE service.

Wishing you all the best, you CAN do this. :smile:

Jane
Original post by Muttley79
A uni-based PGCE is usually better anyway - most are being realistic about reduced oppotunities to get into a school at the moment. Have you approached any school to get in one afternoon a week?

I think it is poor advice saying a uni-based PGCE is better. Different routes suit different people.

I think suggesting they get in contact with Get Into Teaching is probably better advice as they can gain all their options before making a decision to move forwards.
Original post by SmithNotts
I

This is my experience of supporting NQTs/ECTs over the years. A SCITT can give limited experience [it depends on the partner school] and Teach First is a waste of money
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending