The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Entry into Social Work (undergraduate)

Hallo. I am interested in studying A Social work degree. I have studied previously but sue to circumstances was unable to continue the degree course I was on . I did earn a Diploma however. Can some one please advise or pointers as to how I can prepare , apply or any advise as to interview, application process. I must add I will be applying as a Mature ( male) student however and kinda anxious about others experiences. If I need to prepare any statement too any advice appreciated. Thanks anyone who may offer help.
Original post by Anonymous
Hallo. I am interested in studying A Social work degree. I have studied previously but sue to circumstances was unable to continue the degree course I was on . I did earn a Diploma however. Can some one please advise or pointers as to how I can prepare , apply or any advise as to interview, application process. I must add I will be applying as a Mature ( male) student however and kinda anxious about others experiences. If I need to prepare any statement too any advice appreciated. Thanks anyone who may offer help.

Hey,

Thank you for your message.

It's great to hear you're looking to return to university to study Social Work.

From a healthcare student perspective, I know there is an interview before getting admitted onto the course. To prepare for this, I suggest taking a look and reading through the 'Our professional standards' set up by Social Work England, which is what the students adhere to while studying to become a Social Worker.

Personally, I'm not familiar with the application process or have the insight to advise you on the interview. The suggestions I mentioned above are those I would deem relevant as lecturers tend to like getting an all-rounded picture of the candidates, just to assess whether they're suitable for the course (in healthcare). Social Workers work with healthcare professionals so there are crossovers and overlap in terms of skills involving communication and professionalism.
For more course-specific recommendations, I have contacted a lecturer on the course, so I can relay some tips and advice to you when I get a response.

I hope this helps.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
(edited 2 years ago)
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Hi,

Following on from my contact with a lecturer, she has revealed that if you have previously studied Social Work at BA and received a fall back award, you would not be considered as a potential candidate at Coventry University.
Would you be able to confirm whether the diploma is the fall back award?

Veronica
Student Ambassador
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi Veronica. The award was in a totally different field of study (Adult Nursing). I appreciate your reply and apologies for my late response. Thank you so much.
Reply 4
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey,

Thank you for your message.

It's great to hear you're looking to return to university to study Social Work.

From a healthcare student perspective, I know there is an interview before getting admitted onto the course. To prepare for this, I suggest taking a look and reading through the 'Our professional standards' set up by Social Work England, which is what the students adhere to while studying to become a Social Worker.

Personally, I'm not familiar with the application process or have the insight to advise you on the interview. The suggestions I mentioned above are those I would deem relevant as lecturers tend to like getting an all-rounded picture of the candidates, just to assess whether they're suitable for the course (in healthcare). Social Workers work with healthcare professionals so there are crossovers and overlap in terms of skills involving communication and professionalism.
For more course-specific recommendations, I have contacted a lecturer on the course, so I can relay some tips and advice to you when I get a response.

I hope this helps.

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Fantastic. I honestly appreciate your help with this. I will follow through on this for sure. Ever grateful .
I think talking about your experiences in a health and social care long will help you or even your experiences in being in a Crisis. Talk about what inspired you to apply to social work and what career you want to progress into
Fantastic. I honestly appreciate your help with this. I will follow through on this for sure. Ever grateful .

Hi,

Thank you for your patience. Below is a quote from the course director of BA Social Work:

'We would look for knowledge of the social work role in the applicants personal statement, any learning from life, voluntary or work experience relevant to the social work role, including transferrable skills. We would also be looking for evidence that the applicant is motivated to undertake social work training.

At interview applicants are assessed in group, written and individual interview. The purpose is to assess applicants against the Entry Level Professional Capabilities Framework PCF which can be found on the British Association of Social Work BASW website. Potential applicants can be encourage to look at the BASW website or the website of Social Work England, the social work regulator. We also assess if applicants have awareness of issues in society, for example inequality, discrimination, and suggest that applicants are aware of current affairs. Community Care is a good place for potential applicant to look.'

I hope this helps. If you would to speak to admissions, I suggest contacting the admissions team at the university (024 7765 2222 Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm GMT) and requesting an email for the admissions lecturer for BA Social Work to support your application journey.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
Reply 7
Hi,

Thank you for your patience. Below is a quote from the course director of BA Social Work:

'We would look for knowledge of the social work role in the applicants personal statement, any learning from life, voluntary or work experience relevant to the social work role, including transferrable skills. We would also be looking for evidence that the applicant is motivated to undertake social work training.

At interview applicants are assessed in group, written and individual interview. The purpose is to assess applicants against the Entry Level Professional Capabilities Framework PCF which can be found on the British Association of Social Work BASW website. Potential applicants can be encourage to look at the BASW website or the website of Social Work England, the social work regulator. We also assess if applicants have awareness of issues in society, for example inequality, discrimination, and suggest that applicants are aware of current affairs. Community Care is a good place for potential applicant to look.'

I hope this helps. If you would to speak to admissions, I suggest contacting the admissions team at the university (024 7765 2222 Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm GMT) and requesting an email for the admissions lecturer for BA Social Work to support your application journey.

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Absolutely appreciate this response and all your efforts Veronica. It has lessened my anxieties about many questions I had. Thanks you so much once again. :smile:
Reply 8
I think talking about your experiences in a health and social care long will help you or even your experiences in being in a Crisis. Talk about what inspired you to apply to social work and what career you want to progress into

Awesome...I will certainly use this advice to my benefit. Thank you so much
Absolutely appreciate this response and all your efforts Veronica. It has lessened my anxieties about many questions I had. Thanks you so much once again. :smile:

Awesome...I will certainly use this advice to my benefit. Thank you so much

No worries!

If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know!

There are other student ambassadors around to answer your query if you wish to ask anything else :smile:

Veronica
Student Ambassador
No worries!

If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know!

There are other student ambassadors around to answer your query if you wish to ask anything else :smile:

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Okay
.I will do . Thanks once again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending