The Student Room Group

Living in a uni house with randoms?

I’m a first year in uni and it’s looking like due to multiple housing plans falling apart, I’m going to have to most likely move into a house with a group of strangers. I’m not against the idea as I’d rather not live in halls again 2nd year, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if so how did they find it?
Hey,

I know quite a few people who have had to do this so I hope you find this helpful!

First of all, finding a group of people can be quite easy through the use of platforms like the Student Room, Facebook Groups and and society group chats you may be in.

It can be quite daunting but if possible, try and meet up with the group or even just call before singing a contract or agreeing to get a house together. It has worked out quite well for the people I know and they get along really well with their housemates. But that is my only really strong piece of advice, try and meet or talk beforehand, just so you can see if you'll get along.

Alternatively, there are usually single rooms you can rent out in a house - so you'll have your own secure space but you may have to share the kitchen etc.

I hope this was helpful and good luck!
Sara
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a first year in uni and it’s looking like due to multiple housing plans falling apart, I’m going to have to most likely move into a house with a group of strangers. I’m not against the idea as I’d rather not live in halls again 2nd year, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if so how did they find it?

Hey, there

Sorry to hear that things haven't quite gone your way accommodation wise. Houses are obviously a more intense atmosphere than halls, as you have to worry more about financial problems together, and people can be pretty finicky when it comes down to money; especially university students. The advice I can give is: to be honest and upfront with people. You can't go the whole year worrying side-stepping around problems when it could potentially impact your mental health or financial stability.

With any luck, however, you'll meet some of the best people in your second-year house. You never know who will be there, but if it does go a little sour, see if taking the advice above on-board helps at all.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

-Quinn

Hi there!

I'm a first-year currently living with someone who was a stranger to me when we moved in and I'm also planning to live next year with another set of strangers. As has been suggested, meet up and actually get to know the people you plan to live with. Obviously you cannot judge them for who they are in just one meeting, but that really is the starting point. Talking to people can reveal their take on different issues that might be important to you, so that you feel comfortable living with them and vice versa.

It may seem daunting living with people who aren't initially your friends but I think it's working out for me because I don't have to see the same people around me all the time. That gives me more space and can actually enjoy my time with my course friends. Disagreements can arise when living together and I wouldn't want a bad relationship with my friends, so strangers are definitely better. My current flatmate is an absolute delight so it really just gives you an opportunity to make more friends!

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Hello :smile:

Does your university have a housing department you can get in touch with, they might be able to help you find something. Alternatively you can most likely find groups on facebook with students from your university and they advertise a room going. Another way would be to look on letting agents websites and they sometimes advertise a room in a house with current students living there.

Hope this helps, good luck house hunting!

Andrew
University of Portsmouth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending