The Student Room Group

Business or religous education

Hello everybody I'm in year 9 and really stuck on what to pick gcse wise between business and re. For re I really enjoy it especially the ethics side of it qnd people are saying they enjoy it too but i don't know how much you do on ethics in the actual gcse exam? For business I don't know much about it but it could be more helpful towards a career. It'd be useful to know people's opinions on it and what grades they got because I'd like to get as high grades as possible. If someone who does both could tell me their favourite that'd be really helpful. Thank you for reading :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Sillystrawberry7
Hello everybody I'm in year 9 and really stuck on what to pick gcse wise between business and re. For re I really enjoy it especially the ethics side of it qnd people are saying they enjoy it too but i don't know how much you do on ethics in the actual gcse exam? For business I don't know much about it but it could be more helpful towards a career. It'd be useful to know people's opinions on it and what grades they got because I'd like to get as high grades as possible. If someone who does both could tell me their favourite that'd be really helpful. Thank you for reading :smile:

I did both at gcse although i never sat the final exams in either due to covid. Business is substantially easier than rs, the content is mainly common sense and the exams are relatively straightforward. rs is harder as there is a lot of specific content you need to know and the exams are very time pressured due to a lot of writing( almost the amount in english ). I found both very boring tbh but if you want an easy grade go for business.
(edited 1 year ago)
hey :smile: i got a 9 in GCSE business and an A* at A level and personally it was one of my favourite subjects at GCSE. A lot of it is pretty straightforward, although there’s a few tricky calculations + extended response questions in the exam, but as long as you do past papers under timed conditions you should be good !!

Which exam board is it?
Original post by chloe257
Which exam board is i

Original post by aliaa03
hey :smile: i got a 9 in GCSE business and an A* at A level and personally it was one of my favourite subjects at GCSE. A lot of it is pretty straightforward, although there’s a few tricky calculations + extended response questions in the exam, but as long as you do past papers under timed conditions you should be good !!

Ok thank you I will take a look at the past papers :smile:
Original post by chloe257
Which exam board is it?

Sorry it doesn't say I only know that re is focused on Islam and Christianity only but I don't know if that helps and no clue about business
Original post by Skiwi
I did both at gcse although i never sat the final exams in either due to covid. Business is substantially easier than rs, the content is mainly common sense and the exams are relatively straightforward. rs is harder as there is a lot of specific content you need to know and the exams are very time pressured due to a lot of writing( almost the amount in english ). I found both very boring tbh but if you want an easy grade go for business.

Okay thank you what grades did you get for both?
Reply 7
Okay thank you what grades did you get for both?

8 in both, though had i sat the actual exams i would have got a 9 in business, my grade got moderated down due to me doing poorly in one of tests at the beginning of the year(rant over). My rs grade was fully justified as i could never get my essays consistent enough.
Sorry it doesn't say I only know that re is focused on Islam and Christianity only but I don't know if that helps and no clue about business

I do Buddhism and Christianity and personally I find it very interesting and very easy. I get 9s in most assessments although once I got an 8. I would definitely recommend it as my friend who takes them both says business is boring even though its an easy grade and she much prefers r.e which she finds as easy.
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
Consider whether you want to study either at uni or in detail as a hobby that you are very interested in.
I did both subjects at gcse and a level, then a theology undergrad.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest