The Student Room Group

I really need help for my sister!

So guys the issue is that my sister has regular periods but she has excessive hair growth. she thought initially it was PCOS but she has been to the doctors/GP and hospital and she had an ultrasound and they've all said its not PCOS related. she's tried some herbal stuff too but nothing seems to be working. she's just emotionally and mentally drained. i really want to help her but don't even know how. i know its not hereditary as me and my mum don't have these issues going on. But she's my baby sis and i just want to help. I'm worried that she might do something to herself :frown:
Any advice or guidance or help would be really appreciated!

Many thanks
Oh dear... Surely someone will be able to help...

How bad is the hair growth? I'm guessing you mean in the pubic area?
Reply 2
No like body hair growth- (lots on arms, torso and upper back) and like facial hair growth- (chin area and sideburns i guess?)
Reply 3
Hi I have pcos too. Also there’s a high chance that doctors won’t be able to see the follicles on the ultrasound. But is likely like you said to have pcos. Pcos can be determined by two other factors too and that’s if there’s excessive hair growth which your sister has and if she has really irregular periods. The third factor is the ultrasound image but like I said, sometimes it doesn’t appear on the image.
Talk to the Gp about this and how you believe it’s pcos and explain your situation.
Does this help at all?
Reply 5
I feel like the doctors are useless, its a constant back and forth with them. But is there anything that you are taking or doing that i can advise my sister about?

Original post by Honey57
Hi I have pcos too. Also there’s a high chance that doctors won’t be able to see the follicles on the ultrasound. But is likely like you said to have pcos. Pcos can be determined by two other factors too and that’s if there’s excessive hair growth which your sister has and if she has really irregular periods. The third factor is the ultrasound image but like I said, sometimes it doesn’t appear on the image.
Talk to the Gp about this and how you believe it’s pcos and explain your situation.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like the doctors are useless, its a constant back and forth with them. But is there anything that you are taking or doing that i can advise my sister about?

There’s no proper treatment unfortunately :redface:
They’ve given me contraceptive pills to use which prevent the follicules from growing and destroys them but you have to use them for more than 6 months and continuously for it to have effect and sadly that’s why there’s no proper treatment for it as research into it is very little.
I tell you what. Do this:

Get an appointment with your Gp and say how you have a family member with pcos and how their ultrasound scan didn’t show the follicules in the image but was diagnosed with pcos because she had irregular periods and had excessive hair growth/

If you say this the Gp is more likely going to take you seriously unfortunately. But I wish the best of luck for you and sister!
Reply 7
Original post by Honey57
There’s no proper treatment unfortunately :redface:
They’ve given me contraceptive pills to use which prevent the follicules from growing and destroys them but you have to use them for more than 6 months and continuously for it to have effect and sadly that’s why there’s no proper treatment for it as research into it is very little.
I tell you what. Do this:

Get an appointment with your Gp and say how you have a family member with pcos and how their ultrasound scan didn’t show the follicules in the image but was diagnosed with pcos because she had irregular periods and had excessive hair growth/

If you say this the Gp is more likely going to take you seriously unfortunately. But I wish the best of luck for you and sister!

thank you for the advice. also, quick question when you say irregular periods does this mean not every month or as in the blood flow? because she gets the period every month but some times its heavier or lighter at times. should we be worried about this?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
thank you for the advice. also, quick question when you say irregular periods does this mean not every month or as in the blood flow? because she gets the period every month but some times its heavier or lighter at times. should we be worried about this?

Ahh it means not getting your period every month. Actually maybe she has a hormonal problem if she doesn’t have irregular periods. I believe sometimes there can be an excessive amount of male hormone in a girls body.
Reply 9
Original post by Honey57
Ahh it means not getting your period every month. Actually maybe she has a hormonal problem if she doesn’t have irregular periods. I believe sometimes there can be an excessive amount of male hormone in a girls body.

i see, thank you for the advice! im going to go check up on her now, but thanks once again :smile:
Women typically produce low levels of male hormones (androgens). If your body produces too much of this hormone, your hair may become unwanted.

In most cases, the exact cause is never known. This condition often runs in families.

The use of certain medications may also cause unwanted hair growth, including:

Testosterone
Danazol
Anabolic steroids
DHEA
Glucocorticoids
Cyclosporine
Minoxidil
Phenytoin

Your health care provider will examine you and ask about your symptoms.

Tests that may be done may include any of the following:

Testosterone test
DHEA-sulfate test
Pelvic ultrasound (if virilization, or development of male characteristics, is present)
CT scan or MRI (if virilization is present)
17-hydroxyprogesterone blood test
ACTH stimulation test

Hirsutism is usually a long-term problem. There are many ways to remove or treat unwanted hair. Some treatment effects last longer than others. (1)

Medications Medications such as birth control pills and anti-androgen medications are an option for some women.
Electrolysis Electric current is used to permanently damage individual hair follicles so that they do not grow back. This method is expensive, and requires multiple treatments. Swelling, scarring and redness of the skin may occur.
Laser energy directed at the dark color (melanin) in the hair - this method is best for large areas of very dark hair. It does not work on blonde or red hair.

Quick Reply

Latest