The Student Room Group

HELP

Question 1 [4 Marks] Etienne, male, 185.4 cm, 120 kg, was admitted to hospital with gram negative sepsis. Etienne was commenced on the aminoglycoside antibiotic, gentamicin, administered intravenously. A body weight calculation was used to determine the correct dosing for the patient. IBW Male (kg) = 50 kg (0.905 kg x number of cm above 152.4 cm in height) CBW = IBW 0.4 (ABW IBW) IBW, Ideal body weight CBW, Corrected body weight ABW, Actual body weight i) What is the CBW for Etienne? (Show your working for full marks) Annotate your answer to Question 1 i) here: 1 Mark The CBW is used to calculate the dose of gentamicin for the patient. Etienne was given an initial intravenous dose of gentamicin of 5 mg/kg based on his CBW. The volume of distribution (Vd) for gentamicin in this patient can be calculated using the following algorithm: Vd = 0.26 x [IBW 0.4 (ABW – IBW)] ii) What is the estimate of Cp0 for Etienne? (Show your working for full marks) Annotate your answer to Question 1 ii) here: 2 Marks iii) What is the mechanism of action of gentamicin? a)Interference in cell wall synthesis b)Interruption of normal bacterial protein synthesis c)Interruption to normal bacterial folate synthesis d)Interference in glucose metabolism Annotate your answer to Question 1 iii) here: 1 Mark
Hi sorry you have had no help for so long! @hairforthetea

Question 1 [4 Marks] Etienne, male, 185.4 cm, 120 kg, was admitted to hospital with gram negative sepsis. Etienne was commenced on the aminoglycoside antibiotic, gentamicin, administered intravenously. A body weight calculation was used to determine the correct dosing for the patient. IBW Male (kg) = 50 kg (0.905 kg x number of cm above 152.4 cm in height) CBW = IBW 0.4 (ABW IBW) IBW, Ideal body weight CBW, Corrected body weight ABW, Actual body weight i) What is the CBW for Etienne? (Show your working for full marks) Annotate your answer to Question 1 i) here: 1 Mark The CBW is used to calculate the dose of gentamicin for the patient. Etienne was given an initial intravenous dose of gentamicin of 5 mg/kg based on his CBW. The volume of distribution (Vd) for gentamicin in this patient can be calculated using the following algorithm: Vd = 0.26 x [IBW 0.4 (ABW – IBW)] ii) What is the estimate of Cp0 for Etienne? (Show your working for full marks) Annotate your answer to Question 1 ii) here: 2 Marks iii) What is the mechanism of action of gentamicin? a)Interference in cell wall synthesis b)Interruption of normal bacterial protein synthesis c)Interruption to normal bacterial folate synthesis d)Interference in glucose metabolism Annotate your answer to Question 1 iii) here: 1 Mark

Q 1
(i) IBW = 50(0.905 X [185.4 - 152.4]) = u can work it out [let us say this comes to y kg]

Then: substitute this figure [y] into the equation given for CBW

(ii) I am not sure what Cp0 stands for - is it clearance of the drug? The clearance of a drug is the volume of blood that would contain the amount of drug excreted in a given time. Let me know the expansion of Cp0 and I shall try to help.

(iii) The answer is defo (b) - the aminoglycosides bind to the 30S subunit of the bacterial ribosome and result in misreading of the genetic code in the mRNA.

Be safe!
M.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending