The Student Room Group

Physics A-Level

So I've stumbled upon numerous articles that thoroughly take me through what to expect in A-Level Physics. I'm currently 16, about to do my GCSEs in a couple of months - and the subjects I am going to pursue for A-Levels are Mathematics, Physics, Further Mathematics and Music.

With A-Level Physics, I don't know whether I'm suited at it. I'm very mediocre at Physics (in my school) at a Grade 6-7, but I hope to get an 8-9 for my actual GCSEs. I don't find the lessons *that* interesting, as it takes a while for me to actually understand the concept. I have to go home after a lesson, and look back on the topic to understand it completely. With that being said, I'm at a Grade 8-9 standard for Mathematics. I hope to do this (with Further Mathematics) for my A-Levels.

The question I've been meaning to ask is: Will I fare well in A-Level Physics? Will I find it interesting? I love concepts, but the concepts studied at GCSE are quite boring - and I'm wondering whether the A-Level version is the same. If so, could I do incredibly well in Physics with just an aptitude for Maths, but not Physics on its own?

Thanks in advance.

(Extra Information: I hope to pursue Computing with specializations in Security / Reliability at an RG university (in London, where I live)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
physics was the hardest subject for most of my friends that took it, despite them getting 8’s and 9’s at GCSE. unless it’s a requirement for your uni course or you found it really interesting at GCSE i wouldn’t really recommend it as it caused the most stress. it all depends on personal preference though !!!!
Reply 2
Original post by Slaydize
So I've stumbled upon numerous articles that thoroughly take me through what to expect in A-Level Physics. I'm currently 16, about to do my GCSEs in a couple of months - and the subjects I am going to pursue for A-Levels are Mathematics, Physics, Further Mathematics and Music.

With A-Level Physics, I don't know whether I'm suited at it. I'm very mediocre at Physics (in my school) at a Grade 6-7, but I hope to get an 8-9 for my actual GCSEs. I don't find the lessons *that* interesting, as it takes a while for me to actually understand the concept. I have to go home after a lesson, and look back on the topic to understand it completely. With that being said, I'm at a Grade 8-9 standard for Mathematics. I hope to do this (with Further Mathematics) for my A-Levels.

The question I've been meaning to ask is: Will I fare well in A-Level Physics? Will I find it interesting? I love concepts, but the concepts studied at GCSE are quite boring - and I'm wondering whether the A-Level version is the same. If so, could I do incredibly well in Physics with just an aptitude for Maths, but not Physics on its own?

Thanks in advance.

(Extra Information: I hope to pursue Computing with specializations in Security / Reliability at an RG university (in London, where I live)

I took Chemistry Physics and Maths (AQA for the sciences and Edexcel for Maths)
I enjoy chemistry and imo the workload isn’t too bad. Like for me its very easy to understand.
With physics, i chose it because I thought it be a very interesting subject. Which it is.
However, you need to understand that, the concepts for A2(2nd year) are quite difficult to understand and the only way to understand is to literally do questions(like LOADS of questions, and also get try additional help from tutors if possible).
IMO its one of the hardest alevel (ppl who also take further maths consider physics to be the toughest alevel too). Bare in mind that this is just my opinion (and a few friends).
So the question is
Is physics worth it?
100%. A tough subject but its still doable, because nothing is really hard unless you put your mind in to it (kind of goes for all subjects).
But if you’re considering, i advise you to start learning and revising early on so you can be ahead of the game. I found that some students go out their way to even start learning during their GCSE summer holiday before the start of sixth form. Which does play a huge advantage but this is all up to you. Ik ppl do wanna chill in their holidays but it imo id recommend you do start early on.
Btw if you’re considering taking physics i suggest you take Mathematics. Like highly recommend. Ppl who take physics and don’t take maths will struggle in some areas of physics. And physics in general is literally Maths. Like trust me on this, but having a maths alevel alongside a physics alevel will help BIG time.
In the end it depends on your personal reference and how you feel. If physics is recommended for the course you wanna take in university, then you’re going to have to take physics as a chosen alevel (as it will be compulsory for some certain university courses!). Anyways, take your time and do your own research. You should go look at the specification for the alevel you wanna take, and see if this is what you want to be doing in sixth form. I suggest you look at AS spec as this is what you’ll be doing for the first year of sixth form.
But anyways best of luck for your GCSEs exams.

(Edit: just realised you’re considering taking Furthermaths, Maths and physics. Honestly if you enjoy maths, then the maths in physics shouldn’t be too complicated for you.
But those are really GOOD yet hard subjects so good luck bro.
FYI maths isn’t too hard, i kinda enjoy it imo :smile:
Furthermaths is a lot more harder(I’ve heared from friends), but if you start early and put in the effort, you’ll be fine.
Anyways, Good luck again!!)
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest