The Student Room Group

Is it possible to WRITE UP a dissertation in 3 weeks?

I've been working on my dissertation since September last year, a huge chunk of it was taken up by having to go through the ethical application process. I got the go ahead in December with that. I then had to gather participants. Interviews commenced and finished in February. I have transcribed them all and analysed and found common themes.

I have a clear chapter structure and outline with how many words is going into each chapter. My literature review is written however, after doing the research I do have to change some of that and refine it but that's 2000 words out of the way with 8000 to go.

I have 3 weeks on Monday to write it to get the draft into my supervisor who said she will turn it around in a week to send back to me with changes to be made. I will have a week to implement these changes and submit officially.

To be honest I'm quite relaxed about it. It's a topic which interests me very much and is very close to my heart. I am a fast writer, once I get in the zone I can work very fast.

My friend on the course has been telling me it's impossible to write up a dissertation in that time and that I better ask for an extension now. The thing is, I don't see how I could have done it any quicker as I needed to wait for my ethics application to be approved before I could do anything.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds doable? I plan to put 5 full days a week writing time into this until it's complete. Is it doable or will I need an extension?
Is it 3 weeks until the final submission or for the handover of the draft? We were told that 2 weeks of solid writing would be sufficient but my degree is different to yours. I spent 2 weeks researching and 6 days writing (but I also had a really thorough plan) I would say that if you're feeling confident then 3 weeks should be enough, make sure you manage your time well though
Reply 2
3 weeks until handover of draft. 6 weeks until official submission date.
Reply 3
Sounds doable mate :colondollar:, you might even get it all done before the 3 weeks are up anyway.

All the best :woo:
Reply 4
Yes - I wrote mine in less than a week.
Definitely doable, especially if you organise your time well (e.g. assign yourself certain sections/word counts to finish each day).
To write it up? sure.
Definitely doable! Just work hard and keep as focused as you can. Do make sure you get sufficient sleep if at all possible. Good luck :woo:
This thread makes me feel so much better lol

On the same boat, OP :eek4:Best of luckk :")
Original post by Synergy~
This thread makes me feel so much better lol

On the same boat, OP :eek4:Best of luckk :")

Every year when I see the raft of 'Please God fill in my survey! :frown:' threads, I get a wee shiver of 'Oh I'm glad that's not me' relief :tongue:
Original post by antsyaf
I've been working on my dissertation since September last year, a huge chunk of it was taken up by having to go through the ethical application process. I got the go ahead in December with that. I then had to gather participants. Interviews commenced and finished in February. I have transcribed them all and analysed and found common themes.

I have a clear chapter structure and outline with how many words is going into each chapter. My literature review is written however, after doing the research I do have to change some of that and refine it but that's 2000 words out of the way with 8000 to go.

I have 3 weeks on Monday to write it to get the draft into my supervisor who said she will turn it around in a week to send back to me with changes to be made. I will have a week to implement these changes and submit officially.

To be honest I'm quite relaxed about it. It's a topic which interests me very much and is very close to my heart. I am a fast writer, once I get in the zone I can work very fast.

My friend on the course has been telling me it's impossible to write up a dissertation in that time and that I better ask for an extension now. The thing is, I don't see how I could have done it any quicker as I needed to wait for my ethics application to be approved before I could do anything.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds doable? I plan to put 5 full days a week writing time into this until it's complete. Is it doable or will I need an extension?

Hi there,

That is 100% doable, I wrote mine in 4 weeks and didn't even push myself that hard. You'll be fine!

Ivaylo
Student Ambassador at Coventry University
Reply 11
Well it’s three days later and I am 6000 words in. Can’t believe how quick it’s been.
Original post by antsyaf

Hi :smile:

Sounds like you are in a really good place with it! I'm sure you'll manage to do this no problem.

Good luck!

Andrew
University of Portsmouth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending