The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medicine 2022 Hold list

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CatInTheCorner
I made a post on the main newcastle thread after I called them :smile: Essentially, they're reviewing the hold list at the end of this month. Our offers depend on previous offer answers, and they will be released in batches, based solely on interivew scores. If someone with the same interview score as you gets an offer, you will too. PARTNERS and non-PARTNERS will wait the same amount, they're scored differently but the Newcastle team gets together at the same times, so it doesn't matter in terms of waiting. If they have no responses to previous offers by the deadline, they will just make decisions on the hold list, and they didn't tell me if that would be offers or rejections :smile:

so it doesn't matter if someone is partners or not they're choosing us solely based on our interview score?
Original post by Krispykremekid6
so it doesn't matter if someone is partners or not they're choosing us solely based on our interview score?

Nope, the waiting is the same, but the offer cut off for Partners for interview score is actually usually higher. They're kept separate
Nope, the waiting is the same, but the offer cut off for Partners for interview score is actually usually higher. They're kept separate

what happens though if the interview score needed for an offer is 58/70 for example and there's both partners applicants and non partners who have the same score. Would those offers then be given to non partners first. I'm sorry I still am a bit confused. By waiting do you mean when we find out?
Original post by Krispykremekid6
what happens though if the interview score needed for an offer is 58/70 for example and there's both partners applicants and non partners who have the same score. Would those offers then be given to non partners first. I'm sorry I still am a bit confused. By waiting do you mean when we find out?

partners applicants are considered differently, so their interview score needed for an offer is different, actually it's usually higher. Offers will be given at the same time, as it's also due to when the offer team can get together and discuss, not just availability of spaces. You can always call them :smile:
Reply 44
partners applicants are considered differently, so their interview score needed for an offer is different, actually it's usually higher. Offers will be given at the same time, as it's also due to when the offer team can get together and discuss, not just availability of spaces. You can always call them :smile:

I thought they considered Partners and non-Partners together and the cut off was usually the same but sometimes lower for Partners. I think it may look higher for partners because they can't give parters offers after the summer school, so only non-Partners would be eligible to get offers if some are made due to people missing grades.
Original post by TCL
I thought they considered Partners and non-Partners together and the cut off was usually the same but sometimes lower for Partners. I think it may look higher for partners because they can't give parters offers after the summer school, so only non-Partners would be eligible to get offers if some are made due to people missing grades.

Q4) Yes, PARTNERS applicants are ranked separately from non-PARTNERS
applicants for offer selection.

The cutoff is usually higher for partners apparently, the lady I spoke to on the phone said they tended to do better at interview. :smile:
I'm hoping we get offers. I got offers from other places but Newcastle is looking really good. It's close to where my parents will be living and the teaching style and city make it really attractive. From what I understood from the email, I thought they will reply to us all on the 19th of May, seems I misunderstood it? I hope there are offer holder days even if we receive a reply later as it would really help to see the uni in person! Good luck to everyone!
I asked today on the chat facility and was told we would get a decision by 19/5
I am a parent of an applicant on hold for Newcastle A100. I received an email today about accommodation which seemed focussed towards applicants with offers. Has anyone else received this? Thanks
Reply 49
Original post by MimiLondon
I am a parent of an applicant on hold for Newcastle A100. I received an email today about accommodation which seemed focussed towards applicants with offers. Has anyone else received this? Thanks

I did
Original post by navonod
I did

Yeah same I did as well T.T
Original post by MimiLondon

I got this as well.
I went through last years thread. Counted about 60 further offers from 31/3/21 through to ucas cut off day in May.

I am hoping we might hear something end of next week
Anyone up for ringing them to see if theres any update?
Reply 54
Original post by Hazard0202
Anyone up for ringing them to see if theres any update?

I completely get we’re all stressed. Newcastle is my only option and so I really really feel it but I just think we should take on board what they have said. Wait until maybe April at least to contact again because I do genuinely believe as soon as they’ve made a decision we’ll know, and also the more queries they get the more time they have to spend answering them :frown:
Reply 55
I spoke to them yesterday and while they’re watching numbers daily they’re in no position to make offers to those on hold anytime soon. The problem is other med schools releasing offers in batches and the huge amount of covid deferrals in most med schools - eating into places for this year. Newc has roughly the same amount of places on hold this year as last year but expect it to be very different this year mainly due to the deferral problem.
Reply 56
Original post by navonod
I completely get we’re all stressed. Newcastle is my only option and so I really really feel it but I just think we should take on board what they have said. Wait until maybe April at least to contact again because I do genuinely believe as soon as they’ve made a decision we’ll know, and also the more queries they get the more time they have to spend answering them :frown:

But if they get no queries they won't realise how much anxiety there is. They can't make more offers yes, but I think they could be more transparent, as other medical schools have been. Tell the people on hold how many offers they have made, how many on hold, your position on the hold list or at least you're interview score. Plymouth, Exeter and Sunderland have done that, Sheffield is giving feedback to people on hold if they request it.
Original post by TCL
But if they get no queries they won't realise how much anxiety there is. They can't make more offers yes, but I think they could be more transparent, as other medical schools have been. Tell the people on hold how many offers they have made, how many on hold, your position on the hold list or at least you're interview score. Plymouth, Exeter and Sunderland have done that, Sheffield is giving feedback to people on hold if they request it.

Can someone who isn't an applicant, therefore isn't risking anything, call and express this? Is there a chance of Newcastle changing this policy?
Reply 58
Can someone who isn't an applicant, therefore isn't risking anything, call and express this? Is there a chance of Newcastle changing this policy?

I emailed them. There is a meeting this week, I pointed out what other universities are doing. They are sympathetic, but I think it is hard to understand how it feels for you lot - there has been so much for you all to deal with over the last 2 years, and this is piling in yet more uncertainty. At least you are building your resilience!
Did they say what the meeting is about?

Holding on waiting for a place but I could be at say position xxx and have no real
Hope of getting a place

Quick Reply

Latest