The Student Room Group

Is triple science worth it?

I've just chosen my gcses and will choose between triple and combined science in a few weeks and don't know which I want to do. I want to go into either medicine or vetinary medicine. But I want to know if it is as difficult as some people have said.
Original post by .Bethan.
I've just chosen my gcses and will choose between triple and combined science in a few weeks and don't know which I want to do. I want to go into either medicine or vetinary medicine. But I want to know if it is as difficult as some people have said.

Either is fine if you want to go into medicine, but most unis prefer triple science.

I did triple science at GCSE and it wasn't that hard. Just paid attention in class, did all the hw and used the CGP books for revision which helped loads.
Reply 2
If you find GCSE triple Science very difficult then medicine or vet sci is not for you. It's not that hard and if you want a career in Science you should probably take it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
If you want to do medicine go for triple, it makes the transition to a-level slightly easier and you get an extra gcse out of it.

You can do medicine or veterinary with either triple or combined. Most people who want to do these degrees are rather keen on science, are good scientists and enjoy studying it, so perhaps you need to ask yourself if medicine/vet med is definitely the right thing for you. There's an awful lot of much tougher science to come in those courses...
I did combined as was only given 3 options so used these for geography german and photography. now doing a level chem and bio and top of my class so defo not necessary. I do recommend triple anyways only don’t if you want to do 4 others a lot

Yes, it is 100% worth it and was my favourite choice I made to study at GCSE!

I absolutely loved the overview it gave and it really prepared me for my science A-levels (Chemistry and Biology) which are frequently required for university to study medicine and related courses. Whilst it is not 100% needed at GCSE, it really does help. I didn't find it too challenging at GCSE personally so long as you make sure you understand what you're taking in and you have to study science regardless anyway so I think it would be very beneficial for you.

At the end of the day it is up to you completely as it is a lot of content but if you enjoy science I'd say go for it!

-carxlinefxrbes_ :smile:
Triple science isn’t harder, there’s just more content, which makes sense given that it’s an extra GCSE over double science.

If you’re looking to do medicine or vet med, triple science is ideal as it’ll give you a better grounding for A Level sciences which you’ll need to take for these degrees.

you don't need triple to get into med but some unis prefer triple. Also triple you take each separate science: bio, chem, physics and there are more topics covered than in double or in combined however, when sixth forms/colleges pick you and you choose a science for your A level triple has one lower grade that you can gain which is 7,7,6 a 7 in the one you want to do e.g Bio whereas in double or combined you need 7,7
(I do triple btw at times i regret it and at times i don't :/ )

So personally I hate science it is my least favourite of everything I study and I would never have picked to take triple. However, when I got my option blocks I couldn't take r.e and french unless I took triple science aswell. So I did and although I find it boring and still hate it I don't find it that difficult to pass. I'm pretty much at solid 6's and I hate it so if you want to do vetinary medicine I would imagine you would enjoy it much more and so probably get better grades than me. If I was you I would go for it because as much as I hate it I don't regret taking it.

I wanna do veterinary medicine in uni as well. I picked triple science because picking it would be really beneficial and helpful for alevel science subjects, especially when you need to study at least three of the following subjects for veterinary or medicine uni applications: maths, Biology, chemistry or physics. :smile:

Quick Reply