The Student Room Group

Imperial Economics

Hi everyone! I saw this new course whilst browsing recently and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on it as I haven't seen anyone talking about it:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/business-school/economics-finance-data-science/

Also, would applying to be part of the first cohort of a course be unwise?
Original post by el7as
Hi everyone! I saw this new course whilst browsing recently and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on it as I haven't seen anyone talking about it:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/business-school/economics-finance-data-science/

i saw it aswell but dont know what kind of personal statement theyre looking for. my one would be economics and maths related so not sure if i should apply
Original post by killianf
i saw it aswell but dont know what kind of personal statement theyre looking for. my one would be economics and maths related so not sure if i should it apply

its a very unique course so surely theyre not expecting us to cover all three subjects in the ps but idk
Original post by el7as

This degree sems quite suspect. I'm pretty sure Imperial sees this more as a money-making machine rather than an actual degree for teaching - especially since the economics is only 1/3rd of the course
Original post by Reckless Savage
This degree sems quite suspect. I'm pretty sure Imperial sees this more as a money-making machine rather than an actual degree for teaching - especially since the economics is only 1/3rd of the course

Why do you think that? I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't know why it would be given it charges the same price as all their other courses and will obviously just use more basic lecture content from their MSc Finance, MSc Economics & Strategy for Business MSc Business Analytics courses, so the expertise does exist at the uni already
Original post by BenRyan99
Why do you think that? I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't know why it would be given it charges the same price as all their other courses and will obviously just use more basic lecture content from their MSc Finance, MSc Economics & Strategy for Business MSc Business Analytics courses, so the expertise does exist at the uni already

They can charge different fees for overseas students (and probably will), and since economics/related courses tend to be popular among international students and they don't have a course in that area, they're losing a large market share to Oxbridge/LSE/etc for those international fees.

I have to say I'm rather cynical and agree it does seem a cash cow to me to attract international fee paying students. I imagine they'll be quite happy to cream off the LSE/Oxbridge economics rejects, and can probably sway some from Warwick on the basis it's Imperial and they're in London.
Original post by artful_lounger
They can charge different fees for overseas students (and probably will), and since economics/related courses tend to be popular among international students and they don't have a course in that area, they're losing a large market share to Oxbridge/LSE/etc for those international fees.

I have to say I'm rather cynical and agree it does seem a cash cow to me to attract international fee paying students. I imagine they'll be quite happy to cream off the LSE/Oxbridge economics rejects, and can probably sway some from Warwick on the basis it's Imperial and they're in London.

But what I'm saying is that I don't think the fees will be dramatically different from other Imperial courses for international students (which are already super expensive anyway ~£35k). So not sure you can call it a cash cow course if it's priced the same as the uni's other courses as well as the uni actually having good departments (albeit postgrad currently) in these fields.

To be fair I can see it being quite an attractive course given its focus, uni brand prestige and location. But on your logic, most new courses Imperial launch would be cash cows as they tend to charge internationals similarly overpriced fees regardless of subject and I don't see economics/finance/data science being any more attractive to internationals than already established course like CS, engineering, sciences, medicine, etc that are already super popular with internationals
(edited 1 year ago)
I always thought of Imperial as a STEM school. Whilst they do have an MSc in finance and whatever, I'm not sure how good an undergraduate degree in an adjacent discipline from them would be. People with A*AA (A* in maths) should be looking at more established programmes instead, like LSE and UCL.

The course is also taught by Imperial's business school. I generally don't really like courses like economics being taught by a business school, it just seems a bit dodgy since economics is an academic discipline, and not, you know, a business/finance degree.

Maybe give it a miss for now.
Original post by BenRyan99
But what I'm saying is that I don't think the fees will be dramatically different from other Imperial courses for international students (which are already super expensive anyway ~£35k). So not sure you can call it a cash cow course if it's priced the same as the uni's other courses as well as the uni actually having good departments (albeit postgrad currently) in these fields.

To be fair I can see it being quite an attractive course given its focus, uni brand prestige and location. But on your logic, most new courses Imperial launch would be cash cows as they tend to charge internationals similarly overpriced fees regardless of subject and I don't see economics/finance/data science being any more attractive to internationals than already established course like CS, engineering, sciences, medicine, etc that are already super popular with internationals

My main point was more, all those students applying to Oxbridge/UCL/Warwick/LSE who weren't previously able to reasonably apply to Imperial without diluting their personal statement in some way now can do so pretty easily. Before Imperial couldn't really tap into that market directly at the undergrad level.

But as you say it's not unprecedented.
Original post by artful_lounger
My main point was more, all those students applying to Oxbridge/UCL/Warwick/LSE who weren't previously able to reasonably apply to Imperial without diluting their personal statement in some way now can do so pretty easily. Before Imperial couldn't really tap into that market directly at the undergrad level.

But as you say it's not unprecedented.

Surely any new course at a good uni will inevitably direct some students to that uni rather than them applying elsewhere like they would've done before the course existed? Not sure how the point is specific to this course or Imperial but okay

Quick Reply

Latest