The Student Room Group

How to revise in advance without forgetting?

Hey guys! So, I'm spiralling into a little bit of a panic...

I'm in my first year of dental school and my end of year exams are in 10 weeks. This counts for 40% of my grade.

I also have another exam which counts for 6% of my grade, three weeks before my end of year exam. It contains the material from 50 lectures.

So, altogether, I've done about 150 lectures this year. And around 10 weeks to revise them.

So, my dilemma is this: how do I start revising for exams that are in three months without forgetting the material? 150 lectures is too many to start making flashcards now, but if I just use active recall surely I will forget it?

A lot of my lecture notes are clunky and I think it would be beneficial to make summarised notes for them. But I'm worried this will waste too much of my time.

What do you guys think? I also have around 12 lectures a week for the next four weeks and a poster project... yeesh. Dental school is hard.

Help!! :'))
Original post by dentalgal99
Hey guys! So, I'm spiralling into a little bit of a panic...

I'm in my first year of dental school and my end of year exams are in 10 weeks. This counts for 40% of my grade.

I also have another exam which counts for 6% of my grade, three weeks before my end of year exam. It contains the material from 50 lectures.

So, altogether, I've done about 150 lectures this year. And around 10 weeks to revise them.

So, my dilemma is this: how do I start revising for exams that are in three months without forgetting the material? 150 lectures is too many to start making flashcards now, but if I just use active recall surely I will forget it?

A lot of my lecture notes are clunky and I think it would be beneficial to make summarised notes for them. But I'm worried this will waste too much of my time.

What do you guys think? I also have around 12 lectures a week for the next four weeks and a poster project... yeesh. Dental school is hard.

Help!! :'))

Hi @dentalgal99 [br] [br] I'm not a dentistry student but hopefully some of these study tips will help!

If possible, it might be useful to separate your lectures/notes into topic areas. If you put similar topics together you might be able to summarise the key points from each, reducing the number of lectures you need to memorise in certain topics instead? Once you have summarised your key information something I found useful when I needed to memorise a lot of information and dates for my exams was to make posters. The more colourful the better, and even diagrams/pictures can help your memory too (you might not remember a sentence written on a poster, but you might remember the image associated with it, if that makes sense? So if you relate your information to images it may be easier to remember/recall).
I also stuck these posters up on my bedroom wall, so even when I wasn't actively studying my eyes would still skim/pass over the information, helping me to remember it. Not the most fun wall decoration but very satisfying to take down after my exams haha

Perhaps you and some classmates could get together and share your resources? If it is too much information to compress on your own into a revisable format maybe you and a few of your course mates could divide the topics between yourselves and share your revision material with each other?

Hopefully some of these suggestions will work for you. I wish you the best of luck with your revision and exams. :smile:

Grace
BA History
MA Nineteenth Century Studies (History and English Literature)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending