private accomm or student halls?

Watch this thread
username5923585
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
i start uni this year and i’m really torn between going for the uni halls or a private accommodation.
the unis accommodations don’t look very nice and are very overpriced compared to the other university halls i’ve seen. private accommodations look much nicer and are so much cheaper but from what i’ve heard, uni halls are more sociable and i really want to meet new people and make friends!!

which one would you recommend me to go for?
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lizzy04x)
i start uni this year and i’m really torn between going for the uni halls or a private accommodation.
the unis accommodations don’t look very nice and are very overpriced compared to the other university halls i’ve seen. private accommodations look much nicer and are so much cheaper but from what i’ve heard, uni halls are more sociable and i really want to meet new people and make friends!!

which one would you recommend me to go for
Halls is a good way to meet new first years, so is there any compromise on some of the hall types?
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hey,

Halls are definitely my recommendation as it is probably where most students are so you can meet more people. But it depends what kind of private accommodation you mean - even though I stayed in uni owned halls, a lot of people I knew stayed in privately owned uni accommodations, so it was still practically halls, just not owned by the uni. These were also good and they all had a great time! If you mean private accommodation like houses, that's normally something 2nd/3rd year students do/if you already know people you want to live with.

Private accommodation should still be fine, if they have a website, see how many students there are in each flat or house etc. if you are interested in meeting people.

Ultimately, I think whatever situation best suits your financial decision should be the one you take - it's not nice to worry about money when you've already moved out of home, and you can still meet people through your course, the accommodation you do choose and societies.

All the best,
Sara
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 months ago

which one would you recommend me to go for?
Hi there,

I just thought I'd chirp in, as I stayed in University Accommodation but a couple of my friends stayed in private accommodation.

There are definitely pros and cons to each, and what might be useful is to do a pro's and con's list and go from there. For me, the positives of university accommodation was the fact that it was on campus, I was with people that went to the same Uni as me, and if I had any issues I could go to my University to get them solved. Equally, some of the positives of private accommodation can be that they're cheaper, you mingle with different types of people, and they can sometimes be closer to more amenities.

I hope that's helpful.

If there's anything I can help with further, let me know!
Ana - UoL Ambassador
username5923585
Rep:
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hey,

Halls are definitely my recommendation as it is probably where most students are so you can meet more people. But it depends what kind of private accommodation you mean - even though I stayed in uni owned halls, a lot of people I knew stayed in privately owned uni accommodations, so it was still practically halls, just not owned by the uni. These were also good and they all had a great time! If you mean private accommodation like houses, that's normally something 2nd/3rd year students do/if you already know people you want to live with.

Private accommodation should still be fine, if they have a website, see how many students there are in each flat or house etc. if you are interested in meeting people.

Ultimately, I think whatever situation best suits your financial decision should be the one you take - it's not nice to worry about money when you've already moved out of home, and you can still meet people through your course, the accommodation you do choose and societies.

All the best,
Sara
thank you
username5923585
Rep:
(Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep)
Hi there,

I just thought I'd chirp in, as I stayed in University Accommodation but a couple of my friends stayed in private accommodation.

There are definitely pros and cons to each, and what might be useful is to do a pro's and con's list and go from there. For me, the positives of university accommodation was the fact that it was on campus, I was with people that went to the same Uni as me, and if I had any issues I could go to my University to get them solved. Equally, some of the positives of private accommodation can be that they're cheaper, you mingle with different types of people, and they can sometimes be closer to more amenities.

I hope that's helpful.

If there's anything I can help with further, let me know!
Ana - UoL Ambassador
thank you!! liverpool is one of my top choices for uni, just wondering which accommodations would you recommend please?
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
thank you!! liverpool is one of my top choices for uni, just wondering which accommodations would you recommend please?
Hi there,

Oh that's fantastic to hear!

They're honestly all to the same standard, and we have a variety - so it really does just depend on what you're looking for. The list to all of our accommodation offerings can be found here: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/accommodation/

When I was in my first year at University, I stayed at Crown Place and absolutely loved it! I loved the location, the friends I made were absolutely amazing, it was right next to my lecture halls which was fantastic and I felt super safe.

If you have anymore specific questions, don't hesitate to askk!

Ana - UoL Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads