The Student Room Group

Anthro at Oxford or Cambridge?

Hi all, does anyone know how the anthropology reputations at Oxford and Cambridge compare to each other, specifically biological/evolutionary anthropology? I'm in the position to be able to choose between an MSc in Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthro at Oxford or a MPhil in Human Evolutionary Studies at Cambridge and I don't really know how to decide. The two programs are similarly structured from what I can tell and coming from the US, I'm not too familiar with how their reputations compare with each other. The MSc at Oxford is in the anthro department, while the MPhil at Cambridge is housed in the archaeology department. Does this say anything about the respective programs? My goal is to enter a PhD program after my master's so would one or the other be better suited to help me do that? Any insights about these particular programs or the anthro/arch departments in general would be really appreciated. Thank you!
Original post by sweetscaphoid
Hi all, does anyone know how the anthropology reputations at Oxford and Cambridge compare to each other, specifically biological/evolutionary anthropology? I'm in the position to be able to choose between an MSc in Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthro at Oxford or a MPhil in Human Evolutionary Studies at Cambridge and I don't really know how to decide. The two programs are similarly structured from what I can tell and coming from the US, I'm not too familiar with how their reputations compare with each other. The MSc at Oxford is in the anthro department, while the MPhil at Cambridge is housed in the archaeology department. Does this say anything about the respective programs? My goal is to enter a PhD program after my master's so would one or the other be better suited to help me do that? Any insights about these particular programs or the anthro/arch departments in general would be really appreciated. Thank you!

The department at Cam is the Arch & Anth department. Though don't know much more about it, other than they have a good collection of skulls!

Quick Reply