The Student Room Group

Which A-Levels should I go with?

Computer Science, Mathematics and Further Mathematics OR Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics

I do want to apply to Oxford and Imperial, eventually. I know that Oxford highly values Further Maths but Imperial doesn't seem to even mention it anymore.

I'm quite interested in Cyber Forensics and Security so if the top Uni's don't accept me, I'm equally fine with going to a less reputable university to study that. Which means that Maths is the only requirement in those.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/computing-department/computing-beng/#entry-requirements
Interestingly, Computer Science and Physics are recommended subjects for CS at Imperial. I could of sworn it used to be Further Maths.
It's not even in the 'useful subjects' category, nevermind the recommended...
Reply 1
Hi, I’m going into cyber forensics as well! So best of luck. And honestly you might as well do computer science, mathematics and physics, gives you more of a range of expertise.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Schotel
Hi, I’m going into cyber forensics as well! So best of luck. And honestly you might as well do computer science, mathematics and physics, gives you more of a range of expertise.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks man. Hope to see you somewhere down the line :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Sudor
Computer Science, Mathematics and Further Mathematics OR Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics

I do want to apply to Oxford and Imperial, eventually. I know that Oxford highly values Further Maths but Imperial doesn't seem to even mention it anymore.

I'm quite interested in Cyber Forensics and Security so if the top Uni's don't accept me, I'm equally fine with going to a less reputable university to study that. Which means that Maths is the only requirement in those.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/computing-department/computing-beng/#entry-requirements
Interestingly, Computer Science and Physics are recommended subjects for CS at Imperial. I could of sworn it used to be Further Maths.

They've changed it? I remember it saying computer science and further maths as recommended about a week ago. But I'd say Further maths, you already have 1/2 of recommended subjects and Further maths opens more doors to study Computer Science at uni than physics.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sudor

If you can do CS, Math, Further Math and Physics.
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
If you can do CS, Math, Further Math and Physics.

I feel like that would be slightly overkill. I mean, I could do that at the college I'm at but taking more than 3 A-Levels feels unnecessary to me unless I'm trying to gain entry to a myriad of courses.
Original post by Sudor
I feel like that would be slightly overkill. I mean, I could do that at the college I'm at but taking more than 3 A-Levels feels unnecessary to me unless I'm trying to gain entry to a myriad of courses.

Ok. I’d go for CS, Math/F.Maths and Physics
Reply 7
Original post by GTT21
They've changed it? I remember it saying computer science and further maths as recommended about a week ago. But I'd say Further maths, you already have 1/2 of recommended subjects and Further maths opens more doors to study Computer Science at uni than physics.

I'm on the same boat as you. Last I checked, it was there. I'd imagine that Physics would be more facilitating than FM though, largely because FM would strengthen an application rather than fulfill entry requirements. I could be wrong though.
FM is effectively a requirement for Computer Science at Oxford and Imperial.

*If your school offers Further Maths A-Level we expect you to have taken it. However, we understand that not all schools offer Further Maths, and so we do consider applications from people with a single Maths A-level. If you are based in England, and your school doesn't offer Further Maths please see the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme website as they can provide extra maths support. In Wales, see the Further Mathematics Support Programme Wales.

Please note from 2018-20, 97% of A-level students who were offered places for Computer Science courses (including joint courses) took Further Maths to A-level.

source

I recently had to choose between Physics and Further Maths due to timetable clashes and I had the same thoughts on physics being a facilitating subject as you. I ended up choosing Physics, but unless I end up taking Further Maths privately I will likely apply for Physics at Oxford instead. Computer Science as an A-level isn't really that useful (or faciliating) so consider taking Physics instead of that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Comp Sci maths and further maths
Reply 10
Original post by Sudor
I'm on the same boat as you. Last I checked, it was there. I'd imagine that Physics would be more facilitating than FM though, largely because FM would strengthen an application rather than fulfill entry requirements. I could be wrong though.

Depending in the uni, as you want to apply to imperial then physics would seem helpful. At Oxford for an example, students who applied to computer science with further maths as one of their subjects was 97% (could be wrong, saw this on another post)
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending