The Student Room Group

Does unemployment reduce life expectations?

As above. Knew someone who as far as I know had never worked and died at 30 from underlying health condition. Clearly taken too soon.

or is this a myth?

Scroll to see replies

Do you mean life expectancy? as comparing expectations and health makes little sense.

Tbh I've been on benefits and known a lot of people on them long term.....so yeah I could believe that. It's one thing waking up skint, but another to know you're going to stay that skint every day 'forever', proper saps the will to live and that depression can certainly become physical. This is before we get into the higher chance of lower quality housing, lower quality diet, less money for heating/clothing/sanitation etc...
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, do you mean life expectancy?

Not only life expectations, but life expectancy, a sedentary lifestyle, or a more sedentary lifestyle that arises from being unemployed, or even the specific type of employment, can reduce the number of years you are expected to live.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yes.
I believe that medium to long term unemployment that involves claiming upon the welfare benefits system or receiving food donations can reduce both life expectations and life expectancy.
Reply 4
Thanks for your input guys.
Unemployment is known to result in other stressors and illnesses such as:
-Depression.
-Substance abuse and dependence.
-Raised general stress levels.
- Breakdown of family, friendships and other social relationships.
- Will affect childrens and other members health with varying effects depending on the degree of unemployment, resources, etc.
- Definitely will cause you to die earlier.

And, unemployment can result in the individual acting out or committing crimes or anti-social activities.
Beyond a certain level of unemployment, the general population may start to pose a significant threat to the countries stability.
I think, a high level of unemployment is a good marker of a failed state.
But a failed state may not necessarily suffer from high levels of unemployment.
For example, a banana republic where everyone is selling drugs.

Depending on the system of healthcare in the country, not having employment or funds would impede your recovery or even cause you death at an earlier time than if you had not had access to such healthcare.

On the other hand, its a matter of perspective, if you don't have anyone to take care of, it makes unemployment easier to manage.
Standard economic theory states that the level of employment in a market depends on the supply and demand.
Realistically though, it does not factor in for factors like nepotism, bribery and other forms of corruption.
Unemployment drives the creation of gangs and criminals, and also fuels hatred, jealousy and animosity.

There is a huge social and economic cost, as well as a cost to the state, if it even provides welfares or other income supplements for the unemployed.
Some have said the unemployed are also more likely to resort to occultism and make pacts with the Devil hoping for a chance.
There are some buffoons who think this is possible, this is all a lie, the demonic intelligence and workers of iniquity will always seek to destroy.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Elijah_Jacobs
Unemployment is known to result in other stressors and illnesses such as:
-Depression.
-Substance abuse and dependence.
-Raised general stress levels.
- Breakdown of family, friendships and other social relationships.
- Will affect childrens and other members health with varying effects depending on the degree of unemployment, resources, etc.
- Definitely will cause you to die earlier.

And, unemployment can result in the individual acting out or committing crimes or anti-social activities.
Beyond a certain level of unemployment, the general population may start to pose a significant threat to the countries stability.
I think, a high level of unemployment is a good marker of a failed state.
But a failed state may not necessarily suffer from high levels of unemployment.
For example, a banana republic where everyone is selling drugs.

Depending on the system of healthcare in the country, not having employment or funds would impede your recovery or even cause you death at an earlier time than if you had not had access to such healthcare.

On the other hand, its a matter of perspective, if you don't have anyone to take care of, it makes unemployment easier to manage.
Standard economic theory states that the level of employment in a market depends on the supply and demand.
Realistically though, it does not factor in for factors like nepotism, bribery and other forms of corruption.
Unemployment drives the creation of gangs and criminals, and also fuels hatred, jealousy and animosity.

There is a huge social and economic cost, as well as a cost to the state, if it even provides welfares or other income supplements for the unemployed.
Some have said the unemployed are also more likely to resort to occultism and make pacts with the Devil hoping for a chance.
There are some buffoons who think this is possible, this is all a lie, the demonic intelligence and workers of iniquity will always seek to destroy.

I disagree with the occultism part. There are those in occults who are employed. You might be referring to cases in the US.

Those with these unemployment issues should be calling themselves to order to get out of these vicious cycles.

Occultism?? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by JVM2020
As above. Knew someone who as far as I know had never worked and died at 30 from underlying health condition. Clearly taken too soon.

or is this a myth?

i wouldn't be surprised if i die before i hit my 30s :> can't waittt
in terms of expectations tho, nah, my life expectations are still incredibly high, you won't catch me shopping at primark or, god forbid, aldi. that's for peasants.
Original post by JVM2020

or is this a myth?

I was unemployed for three years and it significantly reduced my expectations of life
Original post by Ciel.
you won't catch me shopping at primark or, god forbid, aldi. that's for peasants.

See there you go. :nah:
Hahaha, occultism
Expectation or expectancy? Being unemployed for a long time may well at least lead to one learning to manage some expectations of their life. That is not the same as having a lower life expectancy though :tongue:

In any case since you obviously mean the latter based on your first post, I would point out that correlation does not imply causation and you haven't provided any further context on what the underlying health condition was. It's entirely possible the underlying health condition was why they couldn't work, and why their life expectancy was lower, so the causal link was the health condition, not the unemployment.

Are you referring to the online 'spiritual advisors' from the ONA's swamp of brutal neo-nazi theistic satanists or the case of the convicted murderer Danyal Hussein?
The unemployed satanist who believed himself to be a "psychic vampire" and murdered two sisters in a park after writing a blood signed pact hoping to exchange lots of murdered humans as demonic offerings for lottery wins and plenty of dates & hookups with women.
Original post by JVM2020

or is this a myth?

If you mean expectancy then probably yes, this book (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whose-Health-Anyway-Sally-Davies/dp/0198863454) written by ex-CMO Sally Davis talks about relative income inequalities and how it reduces life expectancy 16 years for women and 19 for men. Ofc unemployment doesn't mean low income but you can quite easily see the links
Reply 15
Original post by Bang Outta Order
See there you go. :nah:

i'm an angel so it's ok for me to say that sort of stuff.
Reply 16
Original post by artful_lounger
Expectation or expectancy? Being unemployed for a long time may well at least lead to one learning to manage some expectations of their life. That is not the same as having a lower life expectancy though :tongue:

In any case since you obviously mean the latter based on your first post, I would point out that correlation does not imply causation and you haven't provided any further context on what the underlying health condition was. It's entirely possible the underlying health condition was why they couldn't work, and why their life expectancy was lower, so the causal link was the health condition, not the unemployment.

The guy had epilepsy and it was the cause of his death.
All answers are beneficial. Avoid occultism.
Original post by JVM2020
The guy had epilepsy and it was the cause of his death.

I'm pretty sure the causes of epilepsy are not related to employment status therefore there is no relation between the two...
The Health Gap by Michael Marmot, is an interesting book that touches on this, social inequities have a huge impact on health and socioeconomic status is one of the biggest factors

Quick Reply

Latest