The Student Room Group

AS physical geography essay

Q: explain how physical factors have led to contrasts in the hydrological cycles shown in Figure 1.9 (15).

What do I include/ do to go about this? We’ve finished all the inputs stores & outputs but how do u do ao2/3 for this. What does contrasts mean? I don’t have a case study yet. Examples?
Original post by e1eanor
Q: explain how physical factors have led to contrasts in the hydrological cycles shown in Figure 1.9 (15).

What do I include/ do to go about this? We’ve finished all the inputs stores & outputs but how do u do ao2/3 for this. What does contrasts mean? I don’t have a case study yet. Examples?

Contrasts in this context probably refer to changes/differences in the water cycle. Probably start by defining the hydrological cycle, state the physical factors like geology, climate, soil, relief, vegetation. Then explain each of them eg. geology and permeability affects infiltration rates. Vegetation can increase evapotranspiration- transfer of water from stores to the atmosphere, climate can change the levels of precipitation etc. Maybe link to climate change for wider links eg. extreme weather, hot temp- increased evaporation, decreased water table. Hope that helps, then again im not sure what the figure is showing so idk exactly what to say. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Boundlessenergy
Contrasts in this context probably refer to changes/differences in the water cycle. Probably start by defining the hydrological cycle, state the physical factors like geology, climate, soil, relief, vegetation. Then explain each of them eg. geology and permeability affects infiltration rates. Vegetation can increase evapotranspiration- transfer of water from stores to the atmosphere, climate can change the levels of precipitation etc. Maybe link to climate change for wider links eg. extreme weather, hot temp- increased evaporation, decreased water table. Hope that helps, then again im not sure what the figure is showing so idk exactly what to say. Good luck!

Thank you! I don’t think the figure is supposed to be part of it but if so it was two diagrams of a semi-arid area and a rainforest with flows and a few characteristics of the environment. We weren’t explained whether to use the pictures or not but that was helpful yeah. So the ao2 is linking flows/stores to factors and the ao3 comparing environments?
Original post by e1eanor
Thank you! I don’t think the figure is supposed to be part of it but if so it was two diagrams of a semi-arid area and a rainforest with flows and a few characteristics of the environment. We weren’t explained whether to use the pictures or not but that was helpful yeah. So the ao2 is linking flows/stores to factors and the ao3 comparing environments?

Not sure what exam board you are on but im pretty sure AO3 for aqa is using the figure and if its stated in the question I would. Saying something like Figure 1.9 shows... this means... Also, if there are any numbers on the data I would mention/ compare them. Ao2 is developing expanation, wider links eg.climate change and a conclusion.
Reply 4
Original post by Boundlessenergy
Not sure what exam board you are on but im pretty sure AO3 for aqa is using the figure and if its stated in the question I would. Saying something like Figure 1.9 shows... this means... Also, if there are any numbers on the data I would mention/ compare them. Ao2 is developing expanation, wider links eg.climate change and a conclusion.

I’m exam board Eduqas!

Quick Reply