The Student Room Group

choosing subjects

hello. I'm going to take a levels under the cambridge international board. I would like to pursue psychology as an undergrad so I know I'm taking psychology but other subjects with practicals like biology are not offered so what else can I choose ? knowing that I'm self teaching;
Original post by lex66
hello. I'm going to take a levels under the cambridge international board. I would like to pursue psychology as an undergrad so I know I'm taking psychology but other subjects with practicals like biology are not offered so what else can I choose ? knowing that I'm self teaching;

Chemistry, Psychology, Sociology
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
Chemistry, Psychology, Sociology

Chemistry requires practicals so it's not offered where I'm from :frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lex66
Chemistry requires practicals so it's not offered where I'm from :frown:

Maybe Geography, Maths or History, if you are interested.
Often Unis will allow private/distance-learning applicants to be excused any practicals - just email some Unis and ask.
Psych is a science subject at Uni so any other science subject is useful, and because of all the statistics involves, Maths is also valuable.

Just be aware that a degree in Psychology doesnt make you a Psycholgist.
You will need a Masters degree, a PhD and a great deal of exoerience - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist Its an overcrowded field and there are too many Psych graduates chasing too few jobs. Its worth looking at other related areas - Mental Health Nursing, Neuroscience, Social Work, Child Development, Counselling etc etc as well as/instead of Psych.
i suggest you to look up universities that offer psychology as a course and check their required or preferred subjects, then you can take those into account.
Original post by lex66

@lex66
Wow, self teaching for A levels that is amazing. Alongside Psychology it might be useful to do a sciency one like Biology if you can, and mathematics would put you in good stead. If you can't do a science Sociology might be good.

I got into Psychology much later having not done it at A Level but I did have a degree in Sociology to fall back on.

You sound like a really independent learner, have you thought if doing your Psychology degree either 100% online or via blended learning. Studying with Arden is fully accredited with the BPS and you can get a student loan for it https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/undergraduate/psychology-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Often Unis will allow private/distance-learning applicants to be excused any practicals - just email some Unis and ask.

With CAIE, the set up of the A level is different. The practical is not an endorsement that can be waived, but an exam that forms around 12% of the assessment that leads to the final A level grade.
I was in year 13 last year and did psychology, sociology and business
They go really well together and if you'd like I could give you more details about what they're like?
Reply 9
Original post by SB1234567890
I was in year 13 last year and did psychology, sociology and business
They go really well together and if you'd like I could give you more details about what they're like?

I'd really appreciate more info if you can ! Thanks a lot
Original post by lex66
I'd really appreciate more info if you can ! Thanks a lot

Psychology (AQA) has a nice balance between essays (which are quite structured so aren't as demanding as other essay subjects) and science/maths (biopsychology chapter and, in research methods, stats tests along with basic maths such as averages, ratios and percentages). I found it really interesting, particularly in year 13 when the topics got more diverse, such as including the optional topic of gender
I found that sociology (AQA) went really well with it due to the fact that both cover research methods and, although the focus is slightly different for each, there are still overlaps in content, which will reduce the overall amount you have to learn). I liked how relevant sociology is, for example you can see real life application in everyday life of examples in the education unit. It is more essay based than psychology, though once you understand the key question of each topic and core debates to apply it is relatively straightforward
Business (AQA) also overlaps slightly with psychology, with both covering topics such as Maslow's hierarchy of needs and the market research element covering parts of research methods. I also did an EPQ, which linked psychology and business together by looking into areas such as colour psychology in branding and neuromarketing. I'd say that business is useful and almost everyone will end up working in a business in their life. It also, like psychology, has a balance between structured essay writing and maths (finance)
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have
Original post by lex66

ask your mum XD

Quick Reply

Latest