The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yay! Finally an official ELAT thread :smile:

Well I still have tonight and a whole day to get my last minute study done, I just need to work on my poetry analysis. I'll probably do the prose in the actualy exam though.
gladebayor
yay! Finally an official ELAT thread :smile:

Well I still have tonight and a whole day to get my last minute study done, I just need to work on my poetry analysis. I'll probably do the prose in the actualy exam though.

:smile:
I'll probably do two poems. But let's see. I just want it to be over.
I haven't even looked at practise questions.
I'd completely forgotten about it until yesterday.
Ah well.
If I mess it up, I mess it up...I'll still be alive at the end of it :smile:
(presuming my Oxbridge lecturer doesn't kill me for misreading the question)
Personally I've been too busy getting the written work ready to try the sample paper or anything. >_>

Good luck everyone.
Reply 5
hi, i'm new.
does anyone think there is a big disadvantage in choosing two extracts from around the same time or the same genre (i.e. the two 20th century poems from the sample paper)?
i presume they'll judge on the criteria they have, and one of them is "respond perceptively to unfamiliar writing of different kinds"....
AppleSkye
hi, i'm new.
does anyone think there is a big disadvantage in choosing two extracts from around the same time or the same genre (i.e. the two 20th century poems from the sample paper)?
i presume they'll judge on the criteria they have, and one of them is "respond perceptively to unfamiliar writing of different kinds"....

Interesting point. I think it's unlikely that any two extracts will be that similar, though.
AppleSkye
hi, i'm new.

If they didn't want you to write about something then they wouldn't put it in the paper would they.
Reply 8
AppleSkye
hi, i'm new.

No disadvantage. From what I've seen, quite a handful of last year's Oxford English fellers only compared two poems. Don't worry about it.
Reply 9
thanks, i think i'm just panicking...i haven't written a timed essay since my as levels :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Good luck everyone.
Reply 11
I just did the sample paper, and though my mind was drawing an absolute blank for 10 minutes in reading, it soon went just dandy. I wrote about 3 sides, and I compared "Father's Bedroom" and "To the Reverend Shade of His Religious Father". I'm quite calm about it now, as long as that "mind-being-blank-for-10-minutes" doesn't happen again tomorrow.
Reply 12
anyone know what the actual criteria/mark scheme is?

sounds vague, but what are we actually being judged on?
Reply 13
skagitup
anyone know what the actual criteria/mark scheme is?

sounds vague, but what are we actually being judged on?

"Respond perceptively to unfamiliar writing of different kinds

Demonstrate skills of close reading, paying attention to the effects of structure, voice and features of style

Construct a well-focused essay, based on comparing and contrasting two or more passages

Write fluently and accurately

Explain why you have chosen the passages and what you intend to discuss in your introduction"

from the (very confusing) elat website.
Reply 14
Anyone here doing the physics aptitude test? and if so dont you agree that it sucks that there is only 2 past papers and no mark schemes? :s
Sanyore
I just did the sample paper, and though my mind was drawing an absolute blank for 10 minutes in reading, it soon went just dandy. I wrote about 3 sides, and I compared "Father's Bedroom" and "To the Reverend Shade of His Religious Father". I'm quite calm about it now, as long as that "mind-being-blank-for-10-minutes" doesn't happen again tomorrow.

i had absolutely NO IDEA what that "father's bedroom" poem was on about. i did it earlier and compared "carousel" (loved that poem) with the extract from "a grocer's daughter" or something along those lines. i'm a bit calmer but i don't think the essay i wrote was that good.
oh, on the ELAT website it says we're expected to state what we'll write about in the introduction, and say what we hope to discover by writing about it. will we be expected to do it as... obviously as that? i hate writing things like 'i am going to write about...' and i'd rather just hint at what i'll discuss in the rest of the essay.
rainbow drops
oh, on the ELAT website it says we're expected to state what we'll write about in the introduction, and say what we hope to discover by writing about it. will we be expected to do it as... obviously as that? i hate writing things like 'i am going to write about...' and i'd rather just hint at what i'll discuss in the rest of the essay.

Yeah it's hard to write the intoduction without sounding totally lame. When I did the specimen paper, I basically only hinted at what I was going to illustrate in the essay.

Good luck everybody. I am panicking.
yeah, good luck guys. i feel a bit nervous now but i'm sure we'll be fine.
Reply 19
rainbow drops
i had absolutely NO IDEA what that "father's bedroom" poem was on about. i did it earlier and compared "carousel" (loved that poem) with the extract from "a grocer's daughter" or something along those lines. i'm a bit calmer but i don't think the essay i wrote was that good.

I didn't either, at first; I only knew that I was going to do "To the Reverend Shade.." and I was frozen for 10 minutes, because I hadn't any ideas for the rest, but I just gradually went to Father's Bedroom. Though, I gave Carousel a LOT of thought, but just couldn't get anywhere with it; the same with the grocer's daughter thing.

I actually asked virtually the same question you did on the other thread; whether we should state things as obviously as that, because I really wouldn't want to.

I thought I did well, but after looking at the criteria, I'm starting to doubt myself. They tell us to focus on "structure, voice and features of style" and I did virtually nothing on structure, and only mentioned voice in Father's Bedroom.

But I hoping "responding perceptively" counts for something. :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending