The Student Room Group

Early bird freshers wristbands - are they worth it?

Hi all!
So I keep getting texts from “FRESHERS” mentioning the early bird wristbands for freshers week and how they’re convenient, cost effective etc but all those things are obviously coming from someone trying to sell me something so they’re not trustworthy.

So I was wondering if buying the wristband would actually be worth it. I’m likely going to Bournemouth University and I can’t really see how this freshers company is going to cover all the events in the town. It says it’s £20 + £2 fee for 12 events across 2 weeks, but the wristband is only for week 1. I wanted to decide whether to buy it based off the events list but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Overall I’m just really confused about how this whole freshers things works, I thought the uni organised it but now there’s a couple different companies offering wristbands for Bournemouth when I google it. So yeah I’m very confused and would appreciate if someone who’s more informed than me could help me out

Thanks in advance!!
Hey @Zabago123!

If you think you'd like to go out a fair bit during freshers week, then some kind of package does tend to be cheaper than buying individual event tickets. I would hold off of buying one for now. You never know where you'll end up in September and it's often nice to do the same kind of thing as the people you're living with. When I found my flatmates after room allocation we decided on a package to get together so we could all go out, get to know each other more and most importantly stay safe as a group. Your university will most likely offer a package too, but they probably won't be advertised till a bit closer to the time.

I'd have a look again a bit closer to freshers week when you should have a better idea of everything!

Best of luck with moving to uni - Jude, 3rd year Theoretical Physics Student, University of Birmingham
Original post by Zabago123
Hi all!
So I keep getting texts from “FRESHERS” mentioning the early bird wristbands for freshers week and how they’re convenient, cost effective etc but all those things are obviously coming from someone trying to sell me something so they’re not trustworthy.

So I was wondering if buying the wristband would actually be worth it. I’m likely going to Bournemouth University and I can’t really see how this freshers company is going to cover all the events in the town. It says it’s £20 + £2 fee for 12 events across 2 weeks, but the wristband is only for week 1. I wanted to decide whether to buy it based off the events list but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Overall I’m just really confused about how this whole freshers things works, I thought the uni organised it but now there’s a couple different companies offering wristbands for Bournemouth when I google it. So yeah I’m very confused and would appreciate if someone who’s more informed than me could help me out

Thanks in advance!!

Hi there,

I hope you're well!

Obviously, it is very different for different university's - but in terms of Liverpool and 'Coolit' (the organiser), unless they're less that £25 I don't think it's worth it! Usually, they'll be queues where you can pay on the door, and sometimes doing it this way works cheaper (especially when you're unsure as to what your new flatmates, if youre living in halls, are doing!). I paid £30 for my ticket when I was in my first year (and I'm in third year now!), and it most definitely isn't worth it haha.

I hope that's helpful, enjoy your Freshers!

Ana - UoL Ambassador :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Unless you are a total Party Animal, usually no.
Original post by Zabago123
Hi all!

Thanks in advance!!

It’s a SCAM

The fact that these messages are from anonymous numbers demonstrates that they’re trying to rip you off.

No unofficial freshers events in Bournemouth sell out. Tickets for them all are still available on the day (both from the organisers and from other freshers trying to offload tickets they were scammed into buying because these companies do NOT refund tickets for any reason - they still haven’t refunded people who bought tickets for events cancelled due to covid).

The only events that ever sell out in Bournemouth are the official SUBU events. And they don’t go on sale until July/August.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending