The Student Room Group

Maths Question Help

Hi guys,
When using SUVAT equations, why must objects be travelling in a straight line with constant acceleration?
Reply 1
Original post by Nithu05
Hi guys,
When using SUVAT equations, why must objects be travelling in a straight line with constant acceleration?

They dont have to be travelling in a straight line but they must be constant acceleration.

The basic relationship is
* constant acceleration a(t) = a
* linear velocity v(t)
* quadratic displacement s(t)
If the acceleration wasnt constant, velocity would not be a linear function of t and displacement would not be a quadratic function of t. Youd have to use calculus to integrate acceleration to get velocity, then integrate again to get displacement.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
They dont have to be travelling in a straight line but they must be constant acceleration.

The basic relationship is
* constant acceleration a(t) = a
* linear velocity v(t)
* quadratic displacement s(t)
If the acceleration wasnt constant, velocity would not be a linear function of t and displacement would not be a quadratic function of t. Youd have to use calculus to integrate acceleration to get velocity, then integrate again to get displacement.

Thank you so much for the reply but could you please simpltify this? We haven't learnt integration yet and 'quadratic displacement' is a term I've never heard of. I am so sorry for the inconvenience
Reply 3
Original post by Nithu05
Thank you so much for the reply but could you please simpltify this? We haven't learnt integration yet and 'quadratic displacement' is a term I've never heard of. I am so sorry for the inconvenience

When you use suvat (constant acceleration) you have
v = u + at
s = ut + 1/2 at^2
The first (velocity) equation is a linear function of t. The second (displacement) equation is a quadratic function of t. That is only true if the acceleration is constant.

If its not constant and youve not done integration yet, dont worry about it.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
When you use suvat (constant acceleration) you have
v = u + at
s = ut + 1/2 at^2
The first (velocity) equation is a linear function of t. The second (displacement) equation is a quadratic function of t. That is only true if the acceleration is constant.

If its not constant and youve not done integration yet, dont worry about it.

Thank you so much :smile: I understand now

Quick Reply

Latest