The Student Room Group

Engineering

Is it a hard field to get into
And what sort of qualifications would i need
Original post by Chocolatedrop

At what level? University/degree apprenticeship?
If you want to do an engineering degree then you would require A-Level physics, A-Level maths and A-Level further maths. In most cases, A-Level further maths would be omitted and most unis would just ask for another grade in any A-Level subject. I think that only the top unis ask for further maths, but physics and maths would definitely be a requirement.
It varies from uni to uni though. Some unis are harder to get into then others.
Original post by nuclearbomb
If you want to do an engineering degree then you would require A-Level physics, A-Level maths and A-Level further maths. In most cases, A-Level further maths would be omitted and most unis would just ask for another grade in any A-Level subject. I think that only the top unis ask for further maths, but physics and maths would definitely be a requirement.

Thanks very much, I am just doing btec, science, maths and physics at the moment , but I would like to go to university for that reason

Not hard with the right qualifications & grades.

I recommend maths, further maths & physics A-levels
Original post by mnot
Not hard with the right qualifications & grades.

I recommend maths, further maths & physics A-levels

Thanks i am doing btec physics and science and maths at the moment
Thanks i am doing btec physics and science and maths at the moment

Id think this would be fine assuming the BTEC is an A-level equivalent, it may limit your choices then if you had 3 a-levels but i suspect you’ll be fine for most unis as you have the most important subjects.
Original post by mnot
Id think this would be fine assuming the BTEC is an A-level equivalent, it may limit your choices then if you had 3 a-levels but i suspect you’ll be fine for most unis as you have the most important subjects.

Yes they are A level
Original post by nuclearbomb

You certainy do NOT need Further Maths ... you need Chemistry for Chem Eng

Which sort of Engineering?

For most Maths and Physics is fine - Design Tech can be useful.

For Chemical engineering you need Chemsitry and Maths.

Look for a degree that is recognised and a year in industry is useful.

You do not need Further Maths A level ... unless you are looking at very theoretical courses. Employment is easier if you have work experience these days.
Original post by Muttley79
You certainy do NOT need Further Maths ... you need Chemistry for Chem Eng

Chem eng grad here.

Just to clarify that most unis will need maths and accept either physics or chemistry for chemical engineering.

I think most other engineering courses will require physics a level or equivalent.

Plus you can do a foundation year if your a level combination isn’t what is required.
Which sort of Engineering?

For most Maths and Physics is fine - Design Tech can be useful.

For Chemical engineering you need Chemsitry and Maths.

Look for a degree that is recognised and a year in industry is useful.

You do not need Further Maths A level ... unless you are looking at very theoretical courses. Employment is easier if you have work experience these days.

Thanks, I am not quite sure what part I want to do or go into, but I will have to decide soon
Thanks, I am not quite sure what part I want to do or go into, but I will have to decide soon

Maths plus Physics will cover most except Chem Eng - maybe research the different types?

There are a few articles like this: https://targetcareers.co.uk/career-sectors/engineering/94-which-engineering-degree-discipline-should-i-choose
Maths plus Physics will cover most except Chem Eng - maybe research the different types?

There are a few articles like this: https://targetcareers.co.uk/career-sectors/engineering/94-which-engineering-degree-discipline-should-i-choose

Most chem eng courses will accept maths plus one from physics or chem, their are some which specifically prioritise maths + chemistry but if you have maths & physics you should be fine to find courses.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
Most chem eng courses will accept maths plus one from physics or chem, their are some which specifically prioritise maths + chemistry but if you have maths & physics you should be fine to find courses.

You don't need to tell me!

Quick Reply

Latest