The Student Room Group

Philosophy at Durham University OR Royal Holloway, University of London <3

CONTEXT:

I am going to university this year (Sep/Oct 2022) and have received offers from all of the universities I’ve applied to. My top two choices are Durham University and Royal Holloway, University of London both for Philosophy. I’m struggling to decide on which to make my firm, and which to make my insurance. I have made pros and cons for both, if you could look over them and help me decide I’d be so thankful! (Also, if you have your own pros and cons feel free reply with them, thank you in advance!).

PROS for DURHAM
- I prefer the course structure/syllabus at Durham
- Ranked higher for philosophy
- Ranked higher in UK university league tables
- I prefer the accommodation here
- Given me a much lower offer (BBB)
- I prefer the teaching styles/methods at Durham
- More prestigious

CONS for DURHAM
- Further away from London and much further away from home (around 5 hours from home)
- Lack of diversity
- Small community/quieter town
- I’d be further away from friends at Durham
- Not heard the best things about nightlife, but it’s close to Newcastle
- I don’t know what to do about accommodation in year 2&3

PROS for ROYAL HOLLOWAY
- Much closer to London and closer to home (around an hour)
- I prefer the design of the building, very pretty!!
- I’d be closer to friends at Royal Holloway!
- I know in year 2&3 I can just move out of accommodation

CONS for ROYAL HOLLOWAY
- Less prestigious
- Ranked lower for philosophy
- Ranked lower in UK university league tables
- I prefer the accommodation at Durham
- Given me a much higher offer (ABB)
- Not heard the best things about nightlife too, but it’s closer to London

Thank you so much for taking the time to read, even if you don’t have any advice to give! <3
When one of your main pros for RHUL is liking an individual building, that should tell you all you need to know.

(And the process for accommodation at both unis for years 2 and 3 will be very similar.)
Reply 2
ageshallnot - Thank you for responding! I’ll definitely look more into accommodation for years 2&3.
Umm. There's one nice building at RoHo, compared to like 50 at Durham.

I'm really interested to know why you'd think RoHo is more "diverse". I'd be pretty sure they're about the same, or if anything Durham slightly leading on things like BAME. If you're just going by dumb internet stereotypes, that's kind of ironic.
Reply 4
Trinculo - Thank you for responding! Not sure where I explicitly said Royal Holloway is ‘more diverse’. I’ve used so many resources for my information, and have personally visited both universities. So, no ‘internet stereotypes here’ :smile:
How to Choose Firm and Insurance - https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/the-smart-way-to-choosing-your-first-and-insurance-choices

Tip - pretty architecture is not what its all about.
You can be studying in the most amazing looking buildings but if you aren't enjoying the course it'll be a pretty mierable three years.
Original post by SIR<3N
CONTEXT:

I am going to university this year (Sep/Oct 2022) and have received offers from all of the universities I’ve applied to. My top two choices are Durham University and Royal Holloway, University of London both for Philosophy. I’m struggling to decide on which to make my firm, and which to make my insurance. I have made pros and cons for both, if you could look over them and help me decide I’d be so thankful! (Also, if you have your own pros and cons feel free reply with them, thank you in advance!).

PROS for DURHAM
- Ranked higher for philosophy
- Ranked higher in UK university league tables
- I prefer the accommodation here
- Given me a much lower offer (BBB)
- More prestigious

CONS for DURHAM
- Further away from London and much further away from home (around 5 hours from home)
- Lack of diversity
- Small community/quieter town
- I’d be further away from friends at Durham
- Not heard the best things about nightlife, but it’s close to Newcastle
- I don’t know what to do about accommodation in year 2&3

PROS for ROYAL HOLLOWAY
- Much closer to London and closer to home (around an hour)
- I prefer the design of the building, very pretty!!
- I’d be closer to friends at Royal Holloway!
- I know in year 2&3 I can just move out of accommodation

CONS for ROYAL HOLLOWAY
- Less prestigious
- Ranked lower for philosophy
- Ranked lower in UK university league tables
- I prefer the accommodation at Durham
- Given me a much higher offer (ABB)
- Not heard the best things about nightlife too, but it’s closer to London

Thank you so much for taking the time to read, even if you don’t have any advice to give! <3

You have more pros and fewer cons for Durham than for RH.

Don't worry about accommodation for years 2 and 3. As at all unis, the majority of students will move in to private rentals after the first year. Usually groups of friends (either from meeting in halls or from your course) will rent a place together. In Durham, there are rows and rows of terraced housing devoted to student lets. Your uni's accommodation office or student union might be able to point you towards the more reliable landlords.
I think the course at Durham seems to be a good fit for you. You say you find it interesting, like the teaching style, and the department is ranked higher than Royal Holloway.
In terms of distance from home, an idea could be for you and your family to both travel to a town/city halfway between Durham and your home, so you could travel for 2.5 hrs and get to see your family.
Regarding being closer to friends, you might find that you are all so busy at your respective unis that there isn’t much time anyway to meet up. You will quickly make lots of friends at Durham.
Reply 8
McGinger - Thank you for responding! And that link was so helpful thank you so much!
Reply 9
normaw - Thank you for responding! And yes, I noticed that too! I think I’m mainly worried about not finding people to move into private rentals with, but I’ll just have to be more active in making friends!
Reply 10
booklover1313 - Thank you for responding! That’s a great idea, thank you for your help!
Original post by SIR<3N
booklover1313 - Thank you for responding! That’s a great idea, thank you for your help!

You're welcome! I hope everything works out for you, and I'm sure you will be happy wherever you choose to go.

Quick Reply

Latest