The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Been given the "wrong" type of offer for uni? What can I do?

Long story short I applied for the University of Essex for a foundation year (needed 72 UCAS points and it's the only uni that I've done this for) for languages (French and Spanish) but they've instead given me an offer for of BBB (that's 120 UCAS points) if I don't firm with them not including a foundation year or CCC if I firm with them again not including a foundation year.

I don't know if they purely looked at the Predicted A-level French grade (A*) and thought "there's no way that this student should receive an offer including a foundation year, they deserve better" but this essentially makes the whole point in me applying to the university of Essex useless (I applied there purely as a last resort not because I actually want to go to the university).

There's no way I'm firming with Essex especially not when the 2 other unis I actually want to go to require me to have lower grades to get in (BCC). Essex was supposed to be a last resort + parent doesn't want me to go there either so what can I do? Do I ring up the admissions teams or something? Do I reject the offer? Any help is appreciated thanks. CCC is 96 UCAS points again making the whole point of me applying for a foundation year useless.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Long story short I applied for the University of Essex for a foundation year (needed 72 UCAS points and it's the only uni that I've done this for) for languages (French and Spanish) but they've instead given me an offer for of BBB (that's 120 UCAS points) if I don't firm with them not including a foundation year or CCC if I firm with them again not including a foundation year.

I don't know if they purely looked at the Predicted A-level French grade (A*) and thought "there's no way that this student should receive an offer including a foundation year, they deserve better" but this essentially makes the whole point in me applying to the university of Essex useless (I applied there purely as a last resort not because I actually want to go to the university).

There's no way I'm firming with Essex especially not when the 2 other unis I actually want to go to require me to have lower grades to get in (BCC). Essex was supposed to be a last resort + parent doesn't want me to go there either so what can I do? Do I ring up the admissions teams or something? Do I reject the offer? Any help is appreciated thanks. CCC is 96 UCAS points again making the whole point of me applying for a foundation year useless.

Just contact the admissions team to ask whether you’ll still be considered for the FY if you accept but don’t meet the grades/points for the main course.

Often this is the case, but they have very limited characters to state the offer via UCAS. Sometimes you’ll get an email afterwards explaining the alternative offer that you’ve been give.

Side note: If you don’t want to go there it all seems irrelevant. You’d have been better leaving that choice free and seeing what happened with your others.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by Admit-One
Just contact the admissions team to ask whether you’ll still be considered for the FY if you accept but don’t meet the grades/points for the main course.

Often this is the case, but they have very limited characters to state the offer via UCAS. Sometimes you’ll get an email afterwards explaining the alternative offer that you’ve been give.

Side note: If you don’t want to go there it all seems irrelevant. You’d have been better leaving that choice free and seeing what happened with your others.

I only applied there as a last resort because as they say, remember to have a "safe" option when applying to university (i.e if I don't get the grades in the summer to be able to go to the other 2 unis that I actually want to go to I can do a foundation year as opposed to going through clearing or whatever, i essentially needed a backup plan in case I failed) other than I don't really want to go to Essex I think (but I'm willing to do a foundation year over there with or without transferring after as opposed to having to go through clearing or reapply). I would much rather go to one of the 2 other unis where I've also received offers from. I essentially no longer have a safe option due to this issue so I've either got to get BCC (which is the bare minimum I want to achieve anyway) or just brick it and not go to uni. Need to check my emails again but they haven't seemed to explain why I've been given an offer for a first year entry as opposed to what I actually applied for (a foundation year so that I'd have a safe option).

Yeah may have to ring the admissions team because I essentially applied to that university for nothing then, could have applied somewhere else or as you say flat out not applied to 5 universities.
(edited 2 years ago)
Also dang my last post was poor (that first paragraph is way too long).
Ring them up and ask if they’ll change the offer to the foundation year or consider you for foundation year entry if you pick them as your insurance choice.

If you don’t get the grades for your firm and they don’t accept you with lower grades (which is something most universities will do) and your insurance don’t accept you then there’s always clearing.

There’s usually some excellent options available in clearing for modern languages as it’s not very popular with 18 year olds.
(edited 2 years ago)
Fwiw you would be better picking a firm and insurance with similar grades if you like them both best (instead of picking an insurance you aren’t keen on). That would maximise the chances of one of the universities you’d be happy with accepting you.
Clearing is a good backup option
Original post by PQ
Fwiw you would be better picking a firm and insurance with similar grades if you like them both best (instead of picking an insurance you aren’t keen on). That would maximise the chances of one of the universities you’d be happy with accepting you.
Clearing is a good backup option

Yeah I'll probably pick the 2 other unis as my firm and insurance (I haven't visited one of them yet be I plan on visiting the one I haven't visited yet soon). I never planned on making Essex my firm or insurance anyway it was supposed to be my last resort as opposed to maybe having to go through clearing. Ideally I would not want to do a foundation year anyway (idk how useful it will be for me) but you never know what could happen so better to have it there as a option.

Original post by PQ
Ring them up and ask if they’ll change the offer to the foundation year or consider you for foundation year entry if you pick them as your insurance choice.

If you don’t get the grades for your firm and they don’t accept you with lower grades (which is something most universities will do) and your insurance don’t accept you then there’s always clearing.

There’s usually some excellent options available in clearing for modern languages as it’s not very popular with 18 year olds.

What options are there for clearing? (Not that I want to bank on clearing or anything). Yeah I might ring them up or something to see if they can change the offer or at least explain why I was given a first year entry offer instead of a foundation year one.

If your not firming or insuring them then it’s not really an issue is it?
Original post by jonathanemptage
If your not firming or insuring them then it’s not really an issue is it?

Kind of need a back up uni/plan that's the issue. Need a "safe" option as they say.
Kind of need a back up uni/plan that's the issue. Need a "safe" option as they say.

When you choose a firm and insurance you decline all your other offers.
You can apply back to them in clearing but they're not obligated to honour their previous offer.
Original post by PQ
When you choose a firm and insurance you decline all your other offers.
You can apply back to them in clearing but they're not obligated to honour their previous offer.

I see thanks. In that case I'll do what you've suggested which is to firm with the 2 unis that I want to go to then apply through clearing if needed.
I see thanks. In that case I'll do what you've suggested which is to firm with the 2 unis that I want to go to then apply through clearing if needed.

That would be a better option good luck with the unis you actually like.
Original post by jonathanemptage
That would be a better option good luck with the unis you actually like.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending