When should I start looking for a job? Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I have not even thought about applying for jobs yet when I graduate when shoudl I start? I can't be bothered with all the graduate training schemes because its too crowded. I just want a job from my own merits if thet makes any sense.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
At the very least start buying the local papers with jobs in and any industry magazines/papers which include a substantial job section (eg almost all the jobs working for uni's are advertised in the THES/tuesday's guardian suppliment and jobs.ac.uk ).
AT82
Rep:
?
This thread has been popular, I guess there isn't that many graduates on this site.

I might go down to the careers office just to see if they have anything, I think at first its going to be quite hard because millions of others will be after the same job. I might just get a crappy job save up for a few months then setup my own media business, I have most the equipment I need.

I really don't think I am cut out for all this 9-5 lark pary at weekend lark, I prefer to work weekened and a few days in the week so I can also party during the week.
Scott-jsa
Report 14 years ago
Graduate programmes are pretty competitive but they do offer a greater chance of passing the application process on your own merits.

"Regular" jobs to apply for are reliant on:

1. Your CV (or Resume if you are in the US)
2. The interview (which can be as little as 10 to 20 mins).

That's it.

During those 2 stages, you need to convince the employer that you have the soft skills (communication, teamwork, etc) and hard skills (eg, HTML, speaking French, driving liscence) are ideal for the job.

Later in life, experience will play a huge part in this process, but on graduation you don't have a whole lot and generally you could be competing with people who have a few years experience behind them.

This is the reason I wouldn't shrug off graduate programmes as a possibility just yet - they can be a great source of experience.

However, they will most likely lead to a 9 to 5 job, which you said you wouldn't like much (I know the feeling!).

If you want to go down the route of self-employment, you may face some problems securing funding, but it's not a huge issue.

The Princes Trust have young people's grants (18 to 25), and the Business Gateway also have a Young Persons Startup Grant (18 to 30). Also, the BG can offer excellent support about issues relating to starting a business, from tax, finance to sales and marketing information.

All this aside, back to the original question: When should I start looking for a job?

>>>> Right away.

Seriously. Start now.

Find out what jobs there are in your industry. Find out what the requirements are (skills, experience, education). Work out how to achieve these requirements. Check out the companies who hire <your_field> in your local area, so you know who the players are.

You don't need to apply for jobs just now, but certainly looking about and getting ready will give you a head start come graduation.

Same for self-employment. No need to go ahead with it right now, but get the information so you are ready at the time.

Scott
marabara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
This thread has been popular, I guess there isn't that many graduates on this site.

I might go down to the careers office just to see if they have anything, I think at first its going to be quite hard because millions of others will be after the same job. I might just get a crappy job save up for a few months then setup my own media business, I have most the equipment I need.

I really don't think I am cut out for all this 9-5 lark pary at weekend lark, I prefer to work weekened and a few days in the week so I can also party during the week.
think you've got a bit of growing up to do

why go for a crappy job? you afraid of going for proper ones and failing? what's the harm in applying for them?
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
AT - if you're planning to start a business, get to work on a business plan in advance so you'll know how much capital you need. That way you won't quit a job to start your business only to find you can't quite fund it yet.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThePants999)
AT - if you're planning to start a business, get to work on a business plan in advance so you'll know how much capital you need. That way you won't quit a job to start your business only to find you can't quite fund it yet.
I have seen a lot of jobs that seem suitable lately, and my final year project is going very well, the jobs I have seen that I think I have a good chance of getting are in the £15-£20k range. When I get a job I will for at least a year then consider running my own business. i will just be delboy while I am looking a job, then once I have the capitol to start properly I will do the business plans/business formations etc.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads