The Student Room Group

How to starting investing in crypto/stocks

Want to get started and would take any tips :smile:
Make an account on binance, make sure u have a clear idea on how much you want to spend (capital) and make sure u do as much research as possible and don't just buy a coin because other people are. @metav3rse has loads of great tips
Reply 2
Original post by joe7898
Make an account on binance, make sure u have a clear idea on how much you want to spend (capital) and make sure u do as much research as possible and don't just buy a coin because other people are. @metav3rse has loads of great tips

Thank you so much!
Original post by Mortysmith

There are many schools of thought on this.
I would say, as a beginning, you should invest a substantial amount into index funds. This is a group (portfolio) of stocks, bonds and potentially other assets that aim to track the whole market. For example, the S&P 500 is an index fund that is made of the 500 largest US public companies. This hedges your bets slightly, meaning if 1 sector is affected then your investment may not fall in value as much. It also means that you will have lower growth than some other more "speculative" investments. The S&P 500 has historically returned 7-10% annually, which is greater than inflation and normal bank interest rates (on average). Choose a cheap broker to invest in index fund and invest in a Stocks and Shares ISA, if you are based in the UK. Examples are: Vanguard, Freetrade, Interactive Brokers etc. The cheaper the broker the lower their fees because remember all fees reduce your percentage gain.
Once you understand index funds, you could dive into picking individual stocks but please don't do this just for hype and to make a quick buck. You will get burned and be donating your money to Wall Street, if you don't know what you are doing.
For crypto, I would suggest treating any money that you invest in crypto to be a sacrificial offering. Assume it will go up and down by massive amounts weekly. You have to be able to stomach the risk.
You can set up a binance or a coinbase account to invest in crypto. I would recommend coinbase at the beginning as they are very beginner friendly. They charge high fees on their ordinary account but, once you understand how to buy and sell crypto, you can move over to coinbase pro, which has much lower fees. Also, Binance has been in trouble with the FCA recently so keep that in mind. Start out with the most dominant coins: BTC, ETH, ADA, SOL and then maybe research about smaller cap ("sh**") coins. The smaller coins have higher risk, but potentially higher reward (often there is no reward). Crypto should be your last chapter of learning about investing and should be considered gambling.
A few general tips:
Don't YOLO large amounts of money unless you are in unpayable debt or insane.
Only invest what you can afford to lose
Think about timescales. Only invest money if you won't need it for at least 5 years.
Take your time with learning about investing. Learn about it yourself and don't listen to anybody online as your only source of information as they are likely the ramblings of a madman.
Reply 4

Buy low, sell high.
I think it’s best to do your research into both and then take a dabble in both. There are countless apps that you can use with low fees.

Funds are best as you get into stocks I imagine, but you could always spend £10-£20 in your favourite companies for fun just be aware as with everything you could lose it all.

You can open a stocks and shares ISA with some banks which will invest into the market on your behalf.

With Crypto the same applies, only invest in what you can afford to lose. As a Crypto holder myself, I really struggle to see the day it will be widely adopted, I think it’s more that countries will set up their own digital currency (pretty much against the point of crypto in the first place but I think it’ll happen and become widespread).

At the moment the only real coins to invest I’d say is BTC or maybe Eth (although the fees are still high in Eth) long term.

Dogecoin and such are fun, but I’d argue are mostly pump and dumps. It’s a meme coin set up on purpose as a meme coin..

You have to be prepared for the volatile nature of Crypto. Bitcoin has risen over time to an insane price on the chart, but in the past year whilst it’s held value it’s gone up and down up and down so you have to be careful. But for me it’s a long term investment, so maybe start out small with £10-50 and see what happens in a few months , if you are okay with it.

There’s plenty of good sources on the web to get a better understanding, stay away I’d say from ‘YouTube’ personalities who are most likely just trying to seek you something.

There are various exchanges that will give you a "virtual portfolio" when you sign up... for example eToro, you get $100,000 you can invest as you please, the value shifts exactly as the real market does. I'd recommend a few months playing with a pretend portfolio to get some big mistakes out of the way, then add some real cash. Market is tough rn
Original post by Quady
Buy low, sell high.

I love selling my bitcoin when I’m high.
Reply 8
Original post by Pegasus25
There are many schools of thought on this.
I would say, as a beginning, you should invest a substantial amount into index funds. This is a group (portfolio) of stocks, bonds and potentially other assets that aim to track the whole market. For example, the S&P 500 is an index fund that is made of the 500 largest US public companies. This hedges your bets slightly, meaning if 1 sector is affected then your investment may not fall in value as much. It also means that you will have lower growth than some other more "speculative" investments. The S&P 500 has historically returned 7-10% annually, which is greater than inflation and normal bank interest rates (on average). Choose a cheap broker to invest in index fund and invest in a Stocks and Shares ISA, if you are based in the UK. Examples are: Vanguard, Freetrade, Interactive Brokers etc. The cheaper the broker the lower their fees because remember all fees reduce your percentage gain.
Once you understand index funds, you could dive into picking individual stocks but please don't do this just for hype and to make a quick buck. You will get burned and be donating your money to Wall Street, if you don't know what you are doing.
For crypto, I would suggest treating any money that you invest in crypto to be a sacrificial offering. Assume it will go up and down by massive amounts weekly. You have to be able to stomach the risk.
You can set up a binance or a coinbase account to invest in crypto. I would recommend coinbase at the beginning as they are very beginner friendly. They charge high fees on their ordinary account but, once you understand how to buy and sell crypto, you can move over to coinbase pro, which has much lower fees. Also, Binance has been in trouble with the FCA recently so keep that in mind. Start out with the most dominant coins: BTC, ETH, ADA, SOL and then maybe research about smaller cap ("sh**") coins. The smaller coins have higher risk, but potentially higher reward (often there is no reward). Crypto should be your last chapter of learning about investing and should be considered gambling.
A few general tips:
Don't YOLO large amounts of money unless you are in unpayable debt or insane.
Only invest what you can afford to lose
Think about timescales. Only invest money if you won't need it for at least 5 years.
Take your time with learning about investing. Learn about it yourself and don't listen to anybody online as your only source of information as they are likely the ramblings of a madman.

Wow thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest