The Student Room Group

How difficult is it to get a 3rd?

Hello, not that I aiming for a 3rd but as worse case scenario I want to leave uni with a degree so I am just asking how difficult it would be to get at least a 3rd. I am starting in September and it's a BA subject. Thanks
Getting a Third is quite difficult; getting at least a Third is very easy.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Getting a Third is quite difficult; getting at least a Third is very easy.

Haha yes I've got you. I've phrased the question badly!
The vast majority of students pass their course, (the number may be single digits out of a few hundred failing, though it does vary) the usual aim is for a 2:1. So as ageshallnot said, it's relatively speaking pretty easy. You were basically admitted (let into the uni) on the expectation you'll achieve at least a 2:1.
(edited 2 years ago)
A Third is a total waste of time. And money.
If thats your target, do an apprenticeship or get a job.
Hi @Mlpnkobjo it's understandable to be worried, as it is something you haven't done before, but typically if it's a course you enjoy and you try your best and work hard, then you shouldn't have any problem getting more than a third. Honestly getting a third is super easy, so you can definitely aim higher than this. It's great if you can leave university with a first and a 2:1, and a 2:2 isn't bad either but a third isn't what you'll be wanting to leave with, so here are some tips to help you succeed:

- For each assignment you will be given learning outcomes (LO's) which is typically a list of 4-5 things your essay requires you to do, and this is what the marker marks against. So, follow your learning outcomes. You university should have a skills centre where you can partake in sessions to learn new skills, so find a session on understanding Learning Outcomes, this way you will be able to make a really good essay that meets the necessary criteria.
- Attend all lectures and seminars, you gain a lot from them. Write notes for each different module in a different notebook, this makes it a lot easier when it comes to assignments and exams.
- Write your assignments/study for exams with a group of people, perhaps in the library, as this way if you are struggling you can gain advice and help from peers, and if a peer is struggling you can help them
- Make use of the libraries in person and their online resources
- learn how to find the best articles/journals/books for what you need - this just takes practice or there may be a skills session on it
- Learn how to cite and reference
- Even though year 1 does not count towards your grades, try your hardest on every assignment/exam, as every one is a learning opportunity to improve your academic skillset, and the extra knowledge you glean from reading to find information for your assignments will be helpful to you in your second and third years, as it builds a foundation of knowledge.
- When you get feedback learn from it and work to improve it.

If you do fail something you will be able to retake it in the summer but it will be capped at 40% which is a passing grade (a third).

I hope you find these tips useful and that you are a little more at ease about starting university.

- Rosie
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @Mlpnkobjo it's understandable to be worried, as it is something you haven't done before, but typically if it's a course you enjoy and you try your best and work hard, then you shouldn't have any problem getting more than a third. Honestly getting a third is super easy, so you can definitely aim higher than this. It's great if you can leave university with a first and a 2:1, and a 2:2 isn't bad either but a third isn't what you'll be wanting to leave with, so here are some tips to help you succeed:

- For each assignment you will be given learning outcomes (LO's) which is typically a list of 4-5 things your essay requires you to do, and this is what the marker marks against. So, follow your learning outcomes. You university should have a skills centre where you can partake in sessions to learn new skills, so find a session on understanding Learning Outcomes, this way you will be able to make a really good essay that meets the necessary criteria.
- Attend all lectures and seminars, you gain a lot from them. Write notes for each different module in a different notebook, this makes it a lot easier when it comes to assignments and exams.
- Write your assignments/study for exams with a group of people, perhaps in the library, as this way if you are struggling you can gain advice and help from peers, and if a peer is struggling you can help them
- Make use of the libraries in person and their online resources
- learn how to find the best articles/journals/books for what you need - this just takes practice or there may be a skills session on it
- Learn how to cite and reference
- Even though year 1 does not count towards your grades, try your hardest on every assignment/exam, as every one is a learning opportunity to improve your academic skillset, and the extra knowledge you glean from reading to find information for your assignments will be helpful to you in your second and third years, as it builds a foundation of knowledge.
- When you get feedback learn from it and work to improve it.

If you do fail something you will be able to retake it in the summer but it will be capped at 40% which is a passing grade (a third).

I hope you find these tips useful and that you are a little more at ease about starting university.

- Rosie

Very helpful thanks very much!
Original post by Mlpnkobjo
Very helpful thanks very much!

@Mlpnkobjo I'm glad I could help! If you have any other questions related to university I'd be happy to answer them. Just ask your questions below :smile:

- Rosie
If you want to do well, the best thing is to work consistently and start everything well before the deadline (at least 4-5 weeks).
Original post by Mlpnkobjo
Hello, not that I aiming for a 3rd but as worse case scenario I want to leave uni with a degree so I am just asking how difficult it would be to get at least a 3rd. I am starting in September and it's a BA subject. Thanks

Hi there,

This is a bit of a difficult question because all courses are going to have different things that different people will find difficult! I am currently doing a Bachelor of Arts and from my experience you would only fail if you don’t understand the task you’ve been given and haven’t had any feedback on your work! So I think as long as you’re engaged in your course and keep in contact with your tutors and lecturers and ask questions when you’re not sure - then you should be fine. Also checking marking schemes is very important so you know if you’re meeting the criteria set by the people who are marking you!

I hope that’s helpful!
All the best,

Jubilee - UoP Rep 😊

Quick Reply

Latest