as432
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi there,
I applied to my favourite uni and got turned down for the course, however I still want to try becoming a teacher. Preferably secondary school, but primary is okay too.

I was looking at apprenticeships and was talking to my sixth form tutor, who advised that a proper job would pay better. However I also heard that apprenticeships give a student bank, where as if i worked a proper teaching assistant job i wouldn't get one?

Is there anymore pros and cons or apprenticeship and a proper teaching assistant job i should know about?

Thank you!
amberrose13
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by as432)
Hi there,
I applied to my favourite uni and got turned down for the course, however I still want to try becoming a teacher. Preferably secondary school, but primary is okay too.

I was looking at apprenticeships and was talking to my sixth form tutor, who advised that a proper job would pay better. However I also heard that apprenticeships give a student bank, where as if i worked a proper teaching assistant job i wouldn't get one?

Is there anymore pros and cons or apprenticeship and a proper teaching assistant job i should know about?

Thank you!
Someone might be more knowledgeable than I am but I imagine it would be quite difficult to become a Teaching Assistant straight out of school? You do tend to need some experience and qualifications.

The apprenticeship route gains you both experience and qualifications simultaneously, so at your age, I imagine the apprenticeship route is a lot more realistic. If you could gain a full TA job, then it would definitely pay better than apprenticeship wages but it would be tricky to walk into a TA job without any prior experience or qualifications.

And I have no idea about banks, but apprentices are students (you spend time out of class at college or remote learning) so would be eligible for a student account whereas being a TA is a job, so you wouldn't be a student.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by as432)
Hi there,

Thank you!
It sounds like you are currently in sixth form, am I right?

If you are wanting to become a teacher, you will need an undergraduate degree. For secondary, you will want a degree that links to the subject you wish to teach. So, it would be best to take a route that is going to get you an undergraduate degree sooner rather than later - you can't become a teacher by being a teaching assistant first if you don't have a degree.
as432
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
It sounds like you are currently in sixth form, am I right?

If you are wanting to become a teacher, you will need an undergraduate degree. For secondary, you will want a degree that links to the subject you wish to teach. So, it would be best to take a route that is going to get you an undergraduate degree sooner rather than later - you can't become a teacher by being a teaching assistant first if you don't have a degree.
I am currently in sixth form on my final year, and you can get teach assistant apprenticeships so I thought that I could get paid work experience as a TA, and then move to uni for teaching courses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
25.95%
As I expected (52)
32.91%
Harder (58)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.43%

Watched Threads