The Student Room Group

The Odyssey - A Level Classical Civilisations help

Hi Everybody,

I'm currently a Home-Ed student who is just about to start self-teaching A Level Classical Civilisations.
I've bought the textbooks that the specification suggests, but I'm a little bit stuck on how to get started and structure my lessons.
I'm planning on starting with the Odyssey but there doesn't seem to be too much out there (in comparison to other subjects like Biology) in terms of teaching resources (i.e. PowerPoints, worksheets, lesson plans).

I would like to ask if anybody has any tips on how I can study the Odyssey and would be extremely grateful for any resources that anybody could share with me.

Thank you very kindly,
Kelsey :smile:
A level class civ was a few years ago now for me but I remember struggling with resources. In a few weeks I’ll be home and able to dig out some resources to recommend.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jack123123
A level class civ was a few years ago now for me but I remember struggling with resources. In a few weeks I’ll be home and able to dig out some resources to recommend.

That would be brilliant, thank you!
I think the key thing is to just know the book back to front so I'd start by going through the Odyssey and summarising each book. I'm in year 13 so I've finished the course now and it seems like there isn't really a syllabus and there are many ways you can do the course since the exam questions don't have a right/wrong answer. Tbh there isn't really much to the Odyssey, I'd say it was pretty easy to learn because there aren't that many characters and the events are unique enough that they aren't easy to mix up. I think Aeneid is by far the harder book so I'd make sure you leave plenty of time for it because there's like 10x the amount of characters and events to learn, as well as it having far more complex themes than the Odyssey.

Quizlet and Kahoot has a load of quizzes on the Odyssey which may be helpful for learning the details. I'll try and fish up some of my resources I used if you like, alongside some of the wider reading quotes we were given.

Edit: What exam board are you doing? I did OCR so if you're doing one of the others my Aeneid advice probs wont be relevant.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Fish-sticks
I think the key thing is to just know the book back to front so I'd start by going through the Odyssey and summarising each book. I'm in year 13 so I've finished the course now and it seems like there isn't really a syllabus and there are many ways you can do the course since the exam questions don't have a right/wrong answer. Tbh there isn't really much to the Odyssey, I'd say it was pretty easy to learn because there aren't that many characters and the events are unique enough that they aren't easy to mix up. I think Aeneid is by far the harder book so I'd make sure you leave plenty of time for it because there's like 10x the amount of characters and events to learn, as well as it having far more complex themes than the Odyssey.

Quizlet and Kahoot has a load of quizzes on the Odyssey which may be helpful for learning the details. I'll try and fish up some of my resources I used if you like, alongside some of the wider reading quotes we were given.

Edit: What exam board are you doing? I did OCR so if you're doing one of the others my Aeneid advice probs wont be relevant.

Hi,
Thank you for your advice :smile:
That's really good to hear about the Odyssey, I've actually really enjoyed it so far (might help that I love fantasy books) and have been noting down key characters, themes, settings for each book (i'm currently on Book 17) - it's reassuring that you suggest a similar method.

It's funny that the Aeneid is harder as it has less books than the Odyssey, but I guess shorter doesn't always mean easier haha, thanks for the tip.

Any resources would be absolutely brilliant thank you, I've been trying to make a few myself but it's so hard trying to find much online, so anything you have would be amazing

p.s i'm doing OCR too

Quick Reply

Latest