The Student Room Group

Uni exams

I'm in my final year of biology and end of year exams are coming up. I feel like I should be preparing for them but I'm behind by 15 lectures in each module (I have exams for 4 modules). Exams are going to be timed and I've never had to write a university essay in timed conditions. Does anyone have any advice on revising from lectures and writing timed essays?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my final year of biology and end of year exams are coming up. I feel like I should be preparing for them but I'm behind by 15 lectures in each module (I have exams for 4 modules). Exams are going to be timed and I've never had to write a university essay in timed conditions. Does anyone have any advice on revising from lectures and writing timed essays?

Hey!

From personal experience, my exams have always consisted of 10 questions, out of which you have to choose 2 and write an essay about them. Generally speaking, lecturers will give you a rough idea about the questions that are going to be there. You can also kind of tell by yourself, depending on what the lecturer focused on the most throughout the semester. Then you can properly learn the themes which are the easiest for you to write about (I would recommend 3 just in case) and you will have nothing to worry about!
Of course, if this is not how you do essays at your university, this will not apply to you.

Good luck :smile:

Tereza
Coventry University
International Relations Student

I hope you manage to pass your exams

Hi there,
A good thing to do is practice writing plans that are timed. I personally always have to plan my essays which can take up a good chunk of time, so give yourself a five minute limit and practice writing a plan in that time. Use past questions or make them up for practice. If your essay is already planned out it will take you less time because you won't be wasting time thinking about structure. Hope this helps and good luck!
-Grace
Reply 4
I hope you manage to pass your exams

I hope so too. At least I have until May to prepare..
I hope so too. At least I have until May to prepare..

Still a bit of time.
Good luck
Reply 6
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi there,
A good thing to do is practice writing plans that are timed. I personally always have to plan my essays which can take up a good chunk of time, so give yourself a five minute limit and practice writing a plan in that time. Use past questions or make them up for practice. If your essay is already planned out it will take you less time because you won't be wasting time thinking about structure. Hope this helps and good luck!
-Grace

Thank you for the reply. Would you suggest that I make plans for each lecture?

Hi :smile:

Are your lectures pre-recorded or uploaded somewhere? There might be the option to speed them up and make notes. You can get through them quickly this way without missing out on anything.

I would practise writing under timed conditions in preparation for your exams and maybe ask your tutors for practise ones (if this is possible). Remember to always reach out for help if you need it.

Good luck!

Andrew
University of Portsmouth

Quick Reply

Latest