The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

What is studying Pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield like?

Hi everyone!

I am wanting to study Pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield from September and have received an offer too. I was just wondering what life as a Pharmacy student is like and have a few questions:

1) What does the timetable of a Pharmacy student look like? - How many hours a day will we have labs/ lectures? How long are the labs and lectures? What time do you start and finish? How often do you have placements?

2) Leading on from the timetable, will I have enough time to work a part-time job during the week (not weekends), while, also, studying too. Also, what types of jobs will be available both inside and outside the university?

3) How many hours in a day do you think a student will need to study independently to stay on top of everything, especially since Pharmacy is quite a heavy course.

It would be great if someone could answer these questions and help me out, so that I know what I can expect life to be like if I do decide to go to Huddersfield.

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by rimuuux
Hi everyone!

I am wanting to study Pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield from September and have received an offer too. I was just wondering what life as a Pharmacy student is like and have a few questions:

1) What does the timetable of a Pharmacy student look like? - How many hours a day will we have labs/ lectures? How long are the labs and lectures? What time do you start and finish? How often do you have placements?

2) Leading on from the timetable, will I have enough time to work a part-time job during the week (not weekends), while, also, studying too. Also, what types of jobs will be available both inside and outside the university?

3) How many hours in a day do you think a student will need to study independently to stay on top of everything, especially since Pharmacy is quite a heavy course.

It would be great if someone could answer these questions and help me out, so that I know what I can expect life to be like if I do decide to go to Huddersfield.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi @rimuuux , that's great to hear you have received an offer to study pharmacy in September!
My name is Aaliya, I am currently a third year pharmacy student, therefore, I may be of some help with your questions.
Here are some answers to your questions:

1. The timetable of a pharmacy student changes every week, some days may you have three lectures and some days you may just have one lecture, lab session or tutorial! The duration of each session differs too, for example some lab sessions can be one hour long, whilst some can be three hours long. Lectures are usually timetabled for at least two hours (three hours in some cases), however, sometimes lecturers finish their lecture earlier than the timetabled slot which gives us the opportunity to use this time to study independently.
In first year, there are four, one day placements, the amount of placements and the duration of each placement changes as you progress through the course.

2. In the past I have finished university in the evening around 5pm, which meant that I was unable to work that evening, however, this was not the same for all 5 days in the week. Some days I finished at 1pm which meant I was able to work. I personally believe it depends on how you manage your time and how busy that particular week is.

3. In order to stay on top of your studies, the amount of work required to achieve this differs for each person. However, it is recommended that there is a greater amount of independent study required for 40 credit modules as opposed to 20 credit modules.

I hope this helps, if you need any further support please don't hesitate to ask!

Aaliya ~ 3rd year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending