The Student Room Group

awful at driving

i've had 15, 2 hour lessons and my test is in may. I keep making really silly mistakes such as getting to close to the kerb or my awareness of what is going ahead is pretty bad and has led my instructor hitting the brakes. I do automatic which means it should be a lot easier, but i'm so slow with driving i'm not ready when to brake when approaching roundabout, sometimes its too early sometimes its too late. One thing i find really tough and is one of the biggest things i need to work on is staying in the centre of my line, i find this really difficult i kind of drift towards the curb and towards the edge of the lane and find it really hard to remain in the middle. Any tips please, i really want to do well and be a good driver
Original post by lotus9765.
i've had 15, 2 hour lessons and my test is in may. I keep making really silly mistakes such as getting to close to the kerb or my awareness of what is going ahead is pretty bad and has led my instructor hitting the brakes. I do automatic which means it should be a lot easier, but i'm so slow with driving i'm not ready when to brake when approaching roundabout, sometimes its too early sometimes its too late. One thing i find really tough and is one of the biggest things i need to work on is staying in the centre of my line, i find this really difficult i kind of drift towards the curb and towards the edge of the lane and find it really hard to remain in the middle. Any tips please, i really want to do well and be a good driver

Hi there

Sorry driving lessons aren't going well - it can be very challenging but the key is to remain calm.

I personally use my right wing mirror and try to stay as close to it as possible as it helps me to avoid hitting the curb when driving.

@Dentaldreams is also an automatic learner driver and could provide some excellent advice and support :smile: (Sorry for the tag dental - I'm not really helping curb your TSR addiction :biggrin: and yes pun intended)

Best wishes :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Hi, I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling, but it’s not just you! I’m currently in a dilemma myself so don’t be too hard on yourself!

Firstly, positioning always has to be in the center, especially on main roads, so essentially good steering control. I’m not going to lie I really struggled with this but the solution was very simple, I just positioned the chair slightly more upright, I was uncomfortable (disproportional legs) but I had a play and moved the seat up too, so basically get into a good position! and as I mentioned, steering control is key, keep your hands ‘10-2’ and just stay in a straight position don’t think about the curb because then you will head for the curb, only think about the road ahead!! Of course stay vigilant of hazards!
Second tip would be to go around junctions and bends slowly, remember slower is better!

Also it’s pretty obvious but just stay alert, and what I mean by that is keep checking your mirrors and blind spots, but don’t let them divert your attention from the road ahead.
Finally, driving isn’t the hard part, it’s passing the test that’s difficult, trust me I literally just failed :/ but do consider my advice.
Just relax and be confident, good luck!

You’ve got this :smile:

@TriplexA you’re supposed to be steering me away from tsr! lol
Original post by Dentaldreams
Hi, I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling, but it’s not just you! I’m currently in a dilemma myself so don’t be too hard on yourself!

Firstly, positioning always has to be in the center, especially on main roads, so essentially good steering control. I’m not going to lie I really struggled with this but the solution was very simple, I just positioned the chair slightly more upright, I was uncomfortable (disproportional legs) but I had a play and moved the seat up too, so basically get into a good position! and as I mentioned, steering control is key, keep your hands ‘10-2’ and just stay in a straight position don’t think about the curb because then you will head for the curb, only think about the road ahead!! Of course stay vigilant of hazards!
Second tip would be to go around junctions and bends slowly, remember slower is better!

Also it’s pretty obvious but just stay alert, and what I mean by that is keep checking your mirrors and blind spots, but don’t let them divert your attention from the road ahead.
Finally, driving isn’t the hard part, it’s passing the test that’s difficult, trust me I literally just failed :/ but do consider my advice.
Just relax and be confident, good luck!

You’ve got this :smile:

@TriplexA you’re supposed to be steering me away from tsr! lol

Sorry :biggrin:

Yet again you fail to disappoint with your great advice :smile:

Hoping interview prep is going well - not long left now.
Time for me to finish my unit (ironically 2Qs left again!)

Speak again soon (but not too soon hopefully :biggrin:)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TriplexA
Sorry :biggrin:

Yet again you fail to disappoint with your great advice :smile:

Hoping interview prep is going well - not long left now.
Time for me to finish my unit (ironically 2Qs left again!)

Speak again soon (but not too soon hopefully :biggrin:)

I’m kidding, I’d rather provide useful advice rather than just scrolling through.

Interview prep, moments of doubt but I’m getting there!
Yes how ironic but also good! I’m sure you’ll do great, and then hopefully enjoy the rest of your gap year!:biggrin:

It’s okay, keeping my brain ticking.
Speak soon:smile:
i've had 15, 2 hour lessons and my test is in may. I keep making really silly mistakes such as getting to close to the kerb

Don't focus on road positioning and look where you want to go. I find that when I focus on my road positioning, that's when it starts to get iffy. Likewise, looking where you want to go is just a human thing. If we focus on a direction, we essentially subconciously push ourselves that way. That's also why you shouldn't focus on potholes, it's that effect that will almost certainly lead to you hitting them.

my awareness of what is going ahead is pretty bad and has led my instructor hitting the brakes.

Look furhter ahead. Plenty of passed drivers are no better and are completely unaware because they look no further than the end of their bonnet.

I do automatic which means it should be a lot easier,

In theory? Yes. In practice? The difference is probably smaller than you think. Of the 10 most common reasons for failing, 9 of them relate to observation or steering. Clutch control comes in at #9. It's common, but people are more likely to fail for poor observations or simply poor steering.

[quote[but i'm so slow with driving i'm not ready when to brake when approaching roundabout, sometimes its too early sometimes its too late.

Too early is always better than too late. You can always adjust the pressure you apply to brakes to lengthen/shorten braking distance. If visibility of potential conflicting traffic is good, you judge your speed based on what you see. If visibility is poor, always brake with the intention of coming to a complete stop

One thing i find really tough and is one of the biggest things i need to work on is staying in the centre of my line, i find this really difficult i kind of drift towards the curb and towards the edge of the lane and find it really hard to remain in the middle. Any tips please, i really want to do well and be a good driver

See the first part

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending