The Student Room Group

Explain the usefulness in understanding crime for at least two criminological theorie

I have to answer that question, but I don't know how to do it.
This essay is also going to be sent for itv, to be externally verified so it is very important.
It's 3000-3500 words, I'm in Access to Law and Criminology.

I'm worried because I don't know how I can contrast two theories, which is the minimum.

These are the requirements.

Describe and evaluate the usefulness of at least two criminological theories/approaches/perspectives for understanding crime.

Evaluate at least two key criminological concepts

Consider how different perspectives offer different kinds of understanding for crime (e.g., motivation/societal reaction and its consequences for other)

Compare and contrast how criminological theories have gathered and interpreted evidence

Critically evaluate criminological evidence referring to either qualitative or quantitative evidence

Thanks
for the comparing two theories why don't you talk about a psychodynamic approach, Albert Banduras Bobo Doll study and then a sociological approach, Merton's strain theory or the labelling theory. maybe start by explaining the theories, then explain how each of them focus on different aspects, psychodynamic focuses on cognitive whilst sociological focuses on society as a whole instead of individuals alone as its a cheaper. you could also search advantages and disadvantage's to help you.

for the question about evidence there is so many resources online which could help, just search the theory and all the evidence on how it was conducted should come up automatically if you are looking in the correct places.
Original post by For3igner
for the comparing two theories why don't you talk about a psychodynamic approach, Albert Banduras Bobo Doll study and then a sociological approach, Merton's strain theory or the labelling theory. maybe start by explaining the theories, then explain how each of them focus on different aspects, psychodynamic focuses on cognitive whilst sociological focuses on society as a whole instead of individuals alone as its a cheaper. you could also search advantages and disadvantage's to help you.

for the question about evidence there is so many resources online which could help, just search the theory and all the evidence on how it was conducted should come up automatically if you are looking in the correct places.

First of all, thank you very much, you are more helpful than my classmates.
Secondly, I loved your answer, it's so simple, neat and relentless.
Thirdly if you don't mind, then I would like you to expand and go into a bit more detail about the first part but I think that's too much to ask, as that's my job.

But what I do need to know, is where I can find the case examples, because as it is criminology they are only theories, and I doubt very much that judges have used Lombroso's theory to give a ruling of disapproval of a convict.

I wish you could expand on this subject and help me a little.
which specific part would u like me to expand on?

Also yeah for evidence i meant as in what they did the prove their theory, for example with bandura he had 3 groups and one group watched the parents as they abused the doll, after the parents left the room the kids also abused the doll, the second group watched as the parents didn't do anything to the doll, thus the kids also didn't do anything. so i meant what did they do to try and prove their theory if that makes sense
(edited 2 years ago)
which specific part would u like me to expand on?

Also yeah for evidence i meant as in what they did the prove their theory, for example with bandura he had 3 groups and one group watched the parents as they abused the doll, after the parents left the room the kids also abused the doll, the second group watched as the parents didn't do anything to the doll, thus the kids also didn't do anything. so i meant what did they do to try and prove their theory if that makes sense

Should I critique the theories or describe them, also should I critique them to be old and not reliable, or treat and evaluate them based on that old era, also another question would be should I fight one theorie with other destroying one, or just describe their different point of views in describing crime? Thanks and sorry for the extended question.
critique and describe them, i would possibly evaluate them based on the old era and then contrast it by saying how time changed and blah blah.

don’t destroy the theories i would say simply just say however with this theory they believe and etc.

dont forget always type in a way that makes u comfortable:smile:
critique and describe them, i would possibly evaluate them based on the old era and then contrast it by saying how time changed and blah blah.

don’t destroy the theories i would say simply just say however with this theory they believe and etc.

dont forget always type in a way that makes u comfortable:smile:

Thank you very much, that was outstanding.
if u need help message me!

Quick Reply

Latest