The Student Room Group

how do i stay up during an all nighter?!!

so i’m pulling a all-nighter to study for a test but i always end up sleeping and it backfires cuz i won’t wake up. i feel like coffee makes me more sleepy? i don’t drink it usually, only in all-nighters. i can easily stay up till 6am on normal nights, but when it’s an all-nighter i can barely make it past 2. maybe because the studying puts me to sleep

does anyone have any tips? i really need it asap. i have a test tommorow morning and i know absolutely nothjng. i know all-nighter before a test isn’t the best idea, but it’s better than nothing.
Just adding to this thread because I need some advice on that aswell.
Ive been saying up for revision and sleeping only 4 hours a day. her is what I do
- wash your face with cold water/ice whenever you feel sleepy
- go outside to the garden/face out of window and take deep breaths and remind myself about the test
- don't work on your bed because that's gonna make you wanna sleep
Original post by Anonymous
so i’m pulling a all-nighter to study for a test but i always end up sleeping and it backfires cuz i won’t wake up. i feel like coffee makes me more sleepy? i don’t drink it usually, only in all-nighters. i can easily stay up till 6am on normal nights, but when it’s an all-nighter i can barely make it past 2. maybe because the studying puts me to sleep

does anyone have any tips? i really need it asap. i have a test tommorow morning and i know absolutely nothjng. i know all-nighter before a test isn’t the best idea, but it’s better than nothing.

For a test its a stupid idea, you’ll severely inhibit your neural transmission. But if you must stay up, flashing lights (tv/YouTube), talking to others, sugar & caffeine
Reply 4
Pulling an all-nighter might be counter productive. Maybe work until you feel as though any more working will bring diminishing returns/you cannot focus at all, and reward yourself with some important sleep. Set a target time to work until.

Anywho maybe a bright room, turn up your brightness on all your devices, drink loads of water so you have to keep going to the toilet every couple of minutes, star jumps every 5 minutes, open the window so you're nice and chilly etc etc :colone:
Drink lots of water because it’ll keep you hydrated and you won’t be able to sleep cos you’ll need to run to the loo every so often
Sometimes i find energy drinks more effective than coffee so maybe try that.
Another tip would be to have a short nap now then wake up to study.
might be worth managing your time a bit better for future tests/exams 🤣

for staying awake, like previously mentioned, YouTube, music, lights, colder temperatures, caffeine etc

I highly recommend not doing this though! cramming is not an effective revision strategy, you won't remember it all probably and you will be too exhausted to focus fully, you should give yourself at least a few weeks in advance to prepare for a test, 20 minute study intervals over a couple hours a day has been proven to be one of the most effective ways for revision

I highly advise against this for the future, but we've all been there so here's my 2 cents:
- Keep your curtains shut and your lights on as bright as you can. If you have any blue light filters on your screen, turn them off.
- Do not drink coffee excessively, it will cause you to crash. If you drink coffee, drink a heavily concentrated shot of it every few hours. Also, keep hydrated.
- Focus on your work. Avoid any distractions where possible, you want your brain to be constantly alert so that you do not feel sleepy. Keep in mind that when you are done with your work you will feel absolutely godawful but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
- Finally, probably the most important thing, get up every now and then (when you are making coffee is the best time) and get your blood flowing. If your circulation slows down, so will your muscles and eventually your brain.
Caffeine, but as above it won't really help you as by the time you get to the test you'll be so sleep deprived that I'm sure your cognitive function will be...insufficient, negating any benefit from staying up to try and learn the material.

Basically, if you have to pull an all nighter before a test/exam, you're already too late.
(edited 2 years ago)

ritalin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending