The Student Room Group

Drop Psychology or English Literature?

I'm currently taking Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and English Literature for my AS Levels.

My exams are in 10 weeks and I really need to pick up my revision now. The problem is I don't think I can handle study for 4 subjects with the time I have left, so I'm looking for advice on which would be the best subject to drop.

I'm stuck between Psychology and English Literature because I'm a slow writer and formulating the points I want to convey in an essay takes more time than would be given in an exam. English Lit currently takes up most of my study time which is distracting me from Chemistry, but its more highly regarded than Psychology (+ gives you better analytical skills). On the other hand, psychology doesn't take up nearly as much study time and links often with Biology but feels more like I'm regurgitating information rather than learning any new skills.

Anyone who took Chem, Bio and Psychology/Eng Lit into A2, could you tell me your experience? How was the workload, do the subjects link and more importantly what kind of content do you cover in A2 for both subjects.

I'm looking to make my final decision by the end of this week so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by quartz_quadrant
I'm currently taking Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and English Literature for my AS Levels.

My exams are in 10 weeks and I really need to pick up my revision now. The problem is I don't think I can handle study for 4 subjects with the time I have left, so I'm looking for advice on which would be the best subject to drop.

I'm stuck between Psychology and English Literature because I'm a slow writer and formulating the points I want to convey in an essay takes more time than would be given in an exam. English Lit currently takes up most of my study time which is distracting me from Chemistry, but its more highly regarded than Psychology (+ gives you better analytical skills). On the other hand, psychology doesn't take up nearly as much study time and links often with Biology but feels more like I'm regurgitating information rather than learning any new skills.

Anyone who took Chem, Bio and Psychology/Eng Lit into A2, could you tell me your experience? How was the workload, do the subjects link and more importantly what kind of content do you cover in A2 for both subjects.

I'm looking to make my final decision by the end of this week so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It all comes down to what you want do in life. I personally would go with the easier choice and drop english Lit.
I'm self-studying English Literature, so I can't speak to school workload, but I think AS isn't so different from A level as in other subjects? Some schools teach it in one linear course and do the A level drama texts one year, prose texts the other year and poetry split between both years. Unless you're studying CIE or maybe Edexcel IAL, you'll have a coursework NEA comparing two texts in an essay that's 3,000-4,000 words for my exam board (Edexcel). If you're a slow writer and it would affect your grade, doing Psychology might be better since grades are more important than subjects for uni application. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest