The Student Room Group

Oxford bike shops, feeling intimidated as a woman

I desperately need a new bike as my current one is falling apart and I'm tired of having it repaired and it was cheap to begin with...

I live in Oxford, so there's like a trillion bike shops! But last time I went in person, alone, to a few of them, I felt discouraged because sales assistants never want to bother much with me. Maybe I just don't look like a serious buyer? They either ignore me, or try to sell me a bike they're trying to get rid of. One time this guy kept pushing a £700 bike that when I searched it up, had awful reviews.

Today I called 4 different bike places and they all were men (idk if it's a gender thing?) - one even laughed at me when I asked if they had any second hand Pinnacles (I didn't realise Evans cycles are the only stockist for it).

At this point I just feel stupidly overwhelmed about buying a new bike. Any tips, advice, or anyone living around here who knows the area and can help me out plz? Just looking for a ~£600 women's hybrid for daily commute, good for hilly areas, ideally with front and rear lights & reflectors already, that can also have a basket added.

I feel so silly hahah
Why did u add as a woman 😭 it’s okay to be confused by stuff….
Original post by zetasigma
I desperately need a new bike as my current one is falling apart and I'm tired of having it repaired and it was cheap to begin with...

I live in Oxford, so there's like a trillion bike shops! But last time I went in person, alone, to a few of them, I felt discouraged because sales assistants never want to bother much with me. Maybe I just don't look like a serious buyer? They either ignore me, or try to sell me a bike they're trying to get rid of. One time this guy kept pushing a £700 bike that when I searched it up, had awful reviews.

Today I called 4 different bike places and they all were men (idk if it's a gender thing?) - one even laughed at me when I asked if they had any second hand Pinnacles (I didn't realise Evans cycles are the only stockist for it).

At this point I just feel stupidly overwhelmed about buying a new bike. Any tips, advice, or anyone living around here who knows the area and can help me out plz? Just looking for a ~£600 women's hybrid for daily commute, good for hilly areas, ideally with front and rear lights & reflectors already, that can also have a basket added.

I feel so silly hahah

Hey a really good cycle shop is cycle king on Cowley road! I bought a restored second hand hybrid bike at a very good value and the sales assistant was very helpful and honest.

Quick Reply